Forum Rules Important

1. This forum is dedicated for PbP campaigns in a particular setting, feel free to read if you wish, but refrain from posting unless you are part of the campaign.
  2. If you wish to join a campaign PM the GM for that campaign and they will make a decision.
  3. PbP is often very different from regular table top forms of RP, please see a GMs campaign pitch for guidelines on style, frequency, and format of posts.

Pages: (10) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» L5R Steel & Honour, Chapter 12, Over Branch and Under Briar
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Dec 13 2011, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

Yoritomo Buntaro chuckles, "We shall head out at once and make as much ground as we can before our paths become confused in the darkness. Stay close to Moshi-san there." He gestures to Moshi Kinyo, still waiting nearby. "She will need to help you find the markers."

The large group of Mantis quickly turn from what appears to be an unruly mob into a disciplined battle formation. Their pace is quick and Kitsune Kiyoshi leads them as fast as he can find the markers. He is certain that even without them he could lead the way since this is his third time traveling the route.

By the time they get to the first strung up body the sun is beginning to set, and the long shadows made by the waving branches seem to give the corpse movement of its own. Many of the bushi say prayers to various fortunes, Hofukushu, the fortune of vengeance among them.

After about another half hour darkness begins to descend but Buntaro pushes to continue on. Kiyoshi begins to doubt his ability until Moshi Kinyo touches his arm gently, closes her eyes, and raises her other hand. A pulse of warm light suffuses her arm and slowly a glowing flame flickers slowly above her hand. She opens her eyes and smiles as the flame floats off ahead of them. Behind them the Mantis retrieve their own torches and begin setting them alight.

From where Matsu-Akio and Reijiro are it seems as if Kiyoshi's eyes themselves are made of flame. But they do not see the magical globe of fire floating ahead of him that he does. With this supernatural light he is able to lead them almost as quickly as in the daytime. Hida Kagura grumbles about something he stepped in.

When they finally reach the area where Kiyoshi was sent back Buntaro calls a halt for the night. Kinyo dispels the magical light and everything seems instantly gloomy to the young Fox. Men go about quickly clearing the brush and setting up small tents. Yoritomo Gobura offers Reijiro a tent as he is the only one without, then he goes about assigning patrols.

An owl hoots and slowly the sounds of tree crickets return.

----

Dorai stands slowly and nocks an arrow in his bow. Suddenly Shika stops growling and sits down confused looking around. She sniffs a couple of times and then turns a circle and settles down next to Kaede. Dorai remains tense for a minute longer, but he notices nothing more.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Dec 13 2011, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

When Moshi Kinyo performs her magic.
"Oh wow; it's fox fire." Kiyoshi chuckles "That is some very convenient talent you poosses. I must say I am very glad that Yoritoomoo Sama instructed me to stay cloose to you."

When the band makes camp Kiyoshi will, unless it has begun to rain, bundle himself in his blanket, straw cloak and hat beneath the bows of a nice tree.

This post has been edited by Chronocide: Dec 13 2011, 10:14 PM
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Dec 16 2011, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Kaede shrugs. "Probably a squirrel, I think. Though to be on the safe side it'd be best if we keep alert"

Sorry about my absence in posting. I've been a bit distracted by Fort Libash, the end of the semester, as well as a new game that involves a war that takes place among the stars. I'll try to pick back up.
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Dec 17 2011, 12:57 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

The night noises envelope the four samurai and one puppy and Kaede quickly falls asleep. He is woken what seems like mere minutes later by Tsuruchi Akinori. "Toku-san, wake up, it is your turn on the watch Yoritomo-san and I have had our turn, you must wake Daidoji-san in two hours time." Shika remains sleeping at Kaede's feet as he stands.

----

The sky is clear and the air is only rippled by the occasional breeze. Mantis bushi lay about in their tents snoring heavily, just as they did on the ship. Pairs of samurai patrol together and everything seems secure. Moshi Kinyo replies to Kiyoshi,
"It's nothing really, just a simple cantrip I learned when very young. I have a number of more impressive spells that you might get to see when we find the oni. My master died a hero in the battle of Fire and Thunder. He was a Storm Rider and though his order was disbanded I have vowed to fight every bit as tenaciously against all foes." She says this with an air of grim determination, as if she is still trying to convince herself of its validity.

Hida Hio squats down next to where Akio is setting up his tent,
"Matsu-san, do you think that the defeat of this oni will renew your family's honour? Is that not what Deathseekers believe?"

Hida Kagura finds Reijiro struggling to set up his borrowed tent. He stands there with his arms crossed over his chest just watching.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Dec 17 2011, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

"If you have more impressive feats in store I shall look forward to seeing them."

*A little confused about timing, did she reply shortly after Kiyoshi had remarked, or later once they had made camp?"
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Dec 17 2011, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

Ahh, right. I was intending it to be after making camp. I forgot that the comment was from prior to setting off.
PMEmail Poster
^
Itinerant
 Posted: Dec 18 2011, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Reijiro gratefully accepts Yoirtomo Gobura's offer and settles into the small tent. Though he struggles to get such a large tent erected by himself (not double entendre). Though mildly eventful for the party, the events on the bank, and the journey into the woods were not very interesting for a humble ronin. He chose to stay closer to the back of the group, and keep to himself for the day and the night, rather than attract attention or dishonor by carousing with the mantis bushi.

He spoke to Kiyoshi on occasion, but for the most part, kept to himself, content with the simplicity of their mission. Hunt and kill. Though Reijiro was not a simple man, there were times where he appreciated life's moments of simplicity. He was no nobleman. He was not born with a silver tongue. Nor, if he had it, would he fair so well in light of his lowly position. But he wasn't a blunt instrument either, not one to relish in the prospect of open combat, pitted strength against pitted strength.

He concluded, as he had many times in the past, that his best strength lay in being overlooked. His strength was in his social weakness--few gave much thought to the danger of a humble ronin. In most plans and split second decisions, he was overlooked. Many times in the past, he had used this to his advantage. After all, his schooling taught him to behave in thus a fashion. He couldn't recall telling the party much of his past, and it suited him. Pity the poor soul who died in anonymity, but pity the ronin who gave up his anonymity for death. Such was Reijiro's way.

Even so, he very much doubted he would have even a negligible advantage over the other warriors to the Oni. The demon would make little distinction between social order of the bushi--at the very least, if such an attack would occur tonight. It would pick off the sentries silently--then when a cry would be heard, and the bushi should assemble, it would hunt the archers that fire the jade arrows first. The spellcaster would be a primary target but Reijiro doubted that Moshi Kinyo would go down quickly, and thus the clash between her and the demon would buy him time to find a jade weapon--if nothing but a battered arrow, and stab at weak points on the creature.

But to Reijiro, it doesn't seem a very likely plan. Things rarely go according to plan, and so while he setting up the tent, he tries to envision most angles of attack and how one might form a defense against such an onslaught. The mental and physical exhaustion begins to wear on him, and he hopes sleep will come quickly tonight.

---

Sorry for my hiatus; Chrome crashed, and I lost my bookmark for this page, and then my computer crashed--it's true...macbooks can commit seppuku. Blah blah blah, excuses, etc. The nice thing about having such a subsidiary character is that you're easily missed :)

But it's good to be back, welcome redeadlink. I look forward to speaking with you in character.

PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 12:35 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Kaede doesn't bother to wake Shika up, seeing as the pup seems to be doing a good job of waking up before anyone else at the first sign of danger. To pass the time as he keeps watch, he tries to think of his favorite songs, and sing them all the way through inside his head.
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

"Yes. I do hope this fight will restore my family's honour. Failing that, I will have to investigate the events around the time my family was dishonored."

Akio goes to sleep, waking only for his watch, and keeps his no-dachi next to him at all times.

Sorry for the delay. My old laptop died, and then I had to get a new one, and then I went on a trip.

This post has been edited by redeadlink: Dec 20 2011, 10:09 PM
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Dec 21 2011, 12:30 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

Toku Kaede is wakened by Daidoji Ebizo while the sun is not yet fully up. A cold mist hugs the ground and the trees overheard appear as grasping terrors with black claws. Shika is snuggled tightly against the samurai where he lay down after his watch. Tsuruchi Akinori is awake as well and dividing dried rations into four piles. He hands one to Kaede, then tosses a dried trout on to the ground in front of the pup. She immediately jumps up and takes the fish in her mouth, growling and looking around. Satisfied that her meal is not contested she settles down and begins to gnaw on the treat eagerly.

Yoritomo Dorai appears from ahead and says,
"There is a path ahead that crosses where the oni went, it is small, but was well used. There was a shrine to Inari on it and some wagon marks so it likely leads to a village, in the mist I did not want to go too far on my own. I just hope that whatever village it leads to was able to remain unmolested by the demon."

Breakfast finished the group heads out into the mist. They stick close to one another until the sun comes out and begins to slowly burn off the fog. They reach the small road and see the shrine like Dorai-san said. With the mist lifting they are able to see down the road a fair ways to a rice field on the edge of the woods. They head that way to investigate if the village is alright. It is not. Bodies litter the ground, even visible from their vantage of eight hundred meters away. Dorai and Ebizo run out to investigate and return after a short while. "It was the oni, I have no doubt." Dorai states, "The bodies were missing the backs of their heads and had their entrails pulled out. Many of them were torn limb from limb as well." Daidoji Ebizo adds his insight, "It seems to prefer to toy with its victims. Some of the men appear to have been left partially alive and tried to crawl away, only to be dragged back over and over again. It is sickening."

Akinori interjects, "We should burn the bodies. They are old, correct? The oni is far gone from here and it would allow our brothers to catch up to us."

----

Morning comes to the larger group of samurai with a similar fog. It dampens the mood and the men are not as jovial now as they were before seeing the strung up body. The horror of what they hunt seems to be sinking in. They make a quick meal and then Kiyoshi must guide them through the mist on the path to the oni. Again he is blessed with the feeling that he knows the way, and e picks up the signs as easily as a child might pick up brightly coloured blocks. Moshi Kinyo stays near him, even if she doesn't need to grant him magical sight.

Soon they come upon the next two victims of the oni's wrath and murmurs of prayer cascade around the group.
"What is such a creature? It seems to hunt for sport and mock our determination to kill it!" Hida Kagura growls, "The spawn of the shadowlands, in my experience are mindless brutes compared to this."

"Then we will gain that much more glory for taking it's head brother!" Boasts Hio. "We really should have brought along a Kuni to cleanse the skull and prevent the demons return to Ningen-do."

The Mantis look uneasily back and forth between the two Crab. They are not so used to people talking in such casual tones about such dark things. It is not doubt that some question whether the Crab clan has gone too far in it quest for insight into the shadowlands.

A whistle gets everyone's attention and kama are readied, arrows nocked. A rustle in the underbrush precedes two forlorn figures. One, a young peasant man, supports an elderly woman on his shoulder. Their skin is pallid and they look like they are extremely undernourished. The mans eyes are wide and bloodshot, more red than pupil. He stops as he sees the weapons directed at him and opens his mouth to attempt to speak.
"Samurai-sama," He rasps, "Please. Please help us. It has been so long... *cough* ...so thirsty. A demon came, it tortured us. Help us please..." His eyes plead as much as his words do, and the woman supported on his shoulder moans. His begging eyes search the group, and then suddenly his legs give out on him and they both collapse onto the ground.
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 01:20 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Akio moves toward the man, but pauses for a second. Looking around to see if there is an ambush he slowly goes to the man, and gives him some water.
PM
^
Itinerant
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 03:48 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Reijiro moves close behind Akio, using his perception to check for dilation in their eyes more than the normal signs of dehydration and exhaustion. After moments of scrutiny, he dismissed the concept, realizing it would be a herculean effort of a ruse, and not keeping with the demon's style.

Regardless, he shares Akio's wariness, his eyes darting around the surrounding forest, and back again to the ill-fated pair.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Kaede ponders the issue. "If we did that, the Oni would know that we are on it's trail. It would be best to leave more subtle signals that can be detected only by those that are following after us."
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Kiyoshi does not sense the same aura that the man in black emanated but he thought it best to inform Buntaro.
"Yoritomo-sama; when we first encountered the demon it was... 'inhabiting' another's skin... These two don't seem to give off the same aura, but we don't know entirely what the oni is capable of."

At least I assume Kiyoshi dosn't

This post has been edited by Chronocide: Dec 25 2011, 03:45 PM
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jan 1 2012, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

My apologies for the lengthy delay. Life and the holidays have seemed to take a lot of my time. I could be reading Catching Fire right now too, so this is good and disciplined of me.

The man drinks thirstily from the jug Matsu Akio hands him, he breathes a sigh, and tries to get the old woman to take some water. She lies on her side, barely breathing, eyes staring straight ahead blankly.

Yoritomo Buntaro replies to Kitsune Kiyoshi,
"You are right Kitsune-san. The demon almost fooled me, had I not known of his previous hosts fall from grace I would have never been suspicious of anything more."

Hida Kagura strides forward pushing Akio aside, a finger of jade in his hand. "In the Crab lands we leave nothing to chance!" He growls, "We do not debate the taint, We test it!" He presses the finger of jade to the the mans face.

The man recoils, terror washing across his features as the massive samurai bears down on him. He drops the water jug as the Crab slams the mineral onto his cheek. He screams. His skin blackens under the jade and begins to flake away like ash.

"HA!!!" Kagura raises his tetsubo high into the air, preparing to bring it smashing down on the skull of the unfortunate man. As he begins the downstroke the man jumps back away from the burning jade. His face is sloughing away in small chunks of black gunk. He bounds in reverse to the foot of a tree by the time Kagura's weapons strikes the earth where he was.

Hida Hio takes a quick step forward and releases a short javelin at an incredible speed. It takes the man in the side but does not seem to slow him as he leaps into the lowest branches of the tree, some twelve feet above the ground. Arrows follow from a dozen sources, some thudding into wood, others into flesh. He climbs quickly out of sight into the thicker branches higher up and then all is still for a moment.

Then a blackened, smoking javelin flies straight for the center of the group of samurai from somewhere high in the tree. Men crowd aside and the projectile impacts the earth harmlessly, but as their gazes return to the tree they see a black-furred terror descending upon them with thirty gleaming, hooked claws ready to tear. Six red glowing eyes glare hatefully from a face that is no longer anything like human, what is left of its disguise hangs snagged from a dead branch in the tree.

To clarify what is going on the oni is leaping from high up in the tree down at the group of samurai.

----

Daidoji Ebizo nods in agreement,
"Toku-san is right. There are many bodies and such a delay could risk an ambush further on." He looks hardly at Tsuruchi Akinori, thinking him soft, and then checks his things and prepares to head out.

Shika Barks three times to get Kaede's attention. Looking back up the road he sees a figure peeking out from around the shrine.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (10) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll