Forum Rules Important

1. This forum is dedicated for PbP campaigns in a particular setting, feel free to read if you wish, but refrain from posting unless you are part of the campaign.
  2. If you wish to join a campaign PM the GM for that campaign and they will make a decision.
  3. PbP is often very different from regular table top forms of RP, please see a GMs campaign pitch for guidelines on style, frequency, and format of posts.

Pages: (8) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» L5R: Steel & Honour, Chapter 10, The Road to Shinden Osano-Wo
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Apr 24 2011, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

The sky is cloudy as Uknown Path sails away from the small dock. Local fishermen tending their nets and lines look up at the trio of samurai in awe, bowing low and often. They move off to the side of the narrow wooden structure allowing them to pass by easily. They murmur greetings and aknowledgments keeping their eyes lowered the whole time. Once the samurai are past them and out into the open center of the small village the villagers renew their chatter and activity, wondering what on earth brought such sudden visitors from so far away.

From where they stand the road to the west lies open and empty before them. There are just a few small huts on this side of the village away from the water. Peasant women hanging their washing from wooden frames stare open mouthed for a few moments before remembering their places and bowing.

A Scorpion samurai comes out of one of the huts grinning lewdly before putting on a mask that covers his mouth and buckling up his laquered armour, he walks halfway toward the samurai before he seems to notice them, quickly glancing from face to mon to unconscious monk. His eyes stop smiling and he bows, not as low as perhaps would be required.
"Mantis-sans, how are you this day? I was not aware that any visitors had arrived today, otherwise I would have been more ready to greet you. Please allow me to make any arrangements for your stay, a meal perhaps? Do you need a healer?" He looks again at Goro lying on the sledge behind the pony.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Apr 24 2011, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

Kiyoshi makes it a point to smile at the fisherman as they make their way down the dock. When he meets the Scorpian Kiyoshi returns the bow in kind.
"And good day to you as well Scoorpian-san. I am Kitsune Kiyoshi, and these are my travelling companions." Kiyoshi gestures to Akinori, Goro, and Reijiro. "While I must thank you for your offer, we really couldn't impoose on you soo, arriving unannoounced as we have."
PM
^
Itinerant
 Posted: Apr 25 2011, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Reijiro adds, "We are traveling to Shinden Osano-Wo, our companion is injured and we believe only their healers may help him."
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Apr 26 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

"Shinden Osano-wo? But pardon me, my friends, I believe you have taken a wrong turn somewhere. The temple is to the west of Ginasutra, not the east. Here the road ends at the riverbank unless you seek a ferry." The Scorpion looks a little confused, he is obviously assuming that you came from the road, not the river.

Tsuruchi Akinori remains silent, his eyes wandering past the confounded samurai to the building he came out of. A young peasant girl peeks out of the shadows in the doorway, she seems about fourteen years old and is quite attractive, even with sun-browned skin. Akinori smiles and she withdraws out of sight.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Apr 28 2011, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

GM Question.
Now I am confused I just noticed that the opening phrase said "road to the east". Which side did the drop us off on exactly? Since they knew where we were headed would they not drop us off on the west side? And if they did drop us off on the east side why would we have walked into the village instead of seeking a ferry? The Scorpion's statement is just as weird as it makes it sound like we are on the west side and has mistaken our direction of travel having not realized we arrived by river?
In short what side of the river are we on?
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Apr 29 2011, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

Sorry, I was trying to communicate that he was confused by your prescience and destination and in doing so muddled everything up. You are indeed on the west side of the river, further to the west is Ginasutra, and beyond that is Shinden Osano-Wo. He is assuming that you came from the road, which goes straight through Ginasutra (north-south) and from there turned east coming to his village instead of heading west to the temple. He basically hasn't realized that you came by boat from the river and must pass through his village on your way west. Does that make sense?
PMEmail Poster
^
Itinerant
 Posted: Apr 29 2011, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

"A perceptive assessment, but we actually came via ferry from the river." Reijiro opens his mouth to say more....but his prejudice against Scorpion samaurai makes him hold his tongue.

"You never know who you can trust...." he thinks to himself
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Apr 29 2011, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Okay then the error was in your first post:
QUOTE (Jimbo)
From where they stand the road to the east lies open and empty before them.
should be changed to west

"At any rate thank you most kindly for your warm welcome. Perhaps you would be willing to walk with us at least to the village edge? I hear it is always advantageous to learn the way of the land from a Scorpian."
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: May 1 2011, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

Sorry for the delay in posting, I was at a marriage prep retreat

The Scorpion's eyes narrow slightly and he bows. "Of course. I will indeed guide you along on this segment of your journey."

He walks beside Kitsune Kiyoshi as much as he can, all the while talking about the surrounding area. "This village is a little known spot, though of great strategical importance if enemies ever wish to attack upriver. It is productive enough in its own way and so I am stationed here to protect it. Ginasutra on the other hand is a bustling village teeming with opportunistic merchants and honourless ronin," He glances toward Reijiro "And so there is a larger garrison stationed there. I would advise any wary traveler to keep an eye on his purse as the townsfolk tend to prey on naive pilgrims heading to the temple. The road itself is fairly straightforward and not hard to find, there are many shrines along its length."

He looks quickly back at Goro on the sledge behind the pony as you arrive at the edge of the village, "If I may ask, how was your companion injured, Mantis-san?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 2 2011, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

"I know that the good monk here was fighting valiantly when he received his injuries, but beyond that I cannot say." Kiyoshi chose his words carefully not wanting to reveal anything the monk would rather have left unsaid. Though he preferred open and transparent communication he was a Fox and carefully worded speech was something he was used to. "I do look forward to seeing the shrines along the road. The local deities don't normally get the respect they deserve so this should make for a nice change."
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: May 3 2011, 11:30 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand

The Scorpion takes the answer in stride, appearing to accept its validity. "Yes, the peasants keep up the shrines very well along this road." He stops as you reach the edge of the village proper and the beginnings of the road. " I hope that Koshin will smile upon your journey, and Osano-Wo restore your friend." He bows again, slightly more solemnly than before.

Akinori returns the bow,
"Thank you for your assistance and wisdom Shosuro-san."
PMEmail Poster
^
Itinerant
 Posted: May 4 2011, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Reijiro adds a simple, "Farewell." And continues walking with his companions.

After they are out of earshot. He begins to talk aloud, "Well...I wonder if this journey will prove as eventful as our previous journeys. Speaking of which, Kitsune-san, didn't we have a wager that last battle we were in? Or was that just useless banter to keep the Oni distracted?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 4 2011, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Kiyoshi bows as they depart from the scorpian, continuing down the road with Reijiro.

Kiyoshi smiles at Reijiro's remark.
"I believe that the oonly wager I accepted was the ooni's. And..." Kiyoshi pats his topknot "... I believe I won that one. Of coourse you are coorrect my ooriginal gooal was simply to gooad the ooni into doing something foolish."

"Speaking of the battle; you fought quite well Reijiro. With which school did you train? If you don't mind my asking of course."
PM
^
Itinerant
 Posted: May 6 2011, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Reijiro returns Kiyoshi's smile. "It would seem quite apparent that you won the wager. And..." Reijiro pats his stomach "...I'm quite happy to admit that I'm still in one piece. That's enough for me. As for my school, I must admit that it's a bit of this, and a bit of that. For many years I served as a Yojimbo, and it honed my skills into an amalgamation of practical Bujutsu. As you saw from the Wakasashi throw last fight, I value survivability and the unconventional rather than style or honour. It has served me well in the years of my service.

Still, I imagine I could take a few pointers from an experienced samurai such as yourself, you fought well last fight. Which school did you study under? If you don't mind my asking."

Admittedly, my vagueness with Reijiro's backstory isn't as much as Reijiro's reluctance to share as much as it is my unfamiliarity with L5R lore--I'm hoping to remedy this soon ;)
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 6 2011, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Kiyoshi chuckles "Oh no no, I'm not experienced at all. I still have a long way to go. As you may know the Fox clan has only recently been absorbed into the Mantis, prior to that there was very little in the way of a bushi school available to a member of the Kitsune family. Thus I entered into a ronin school 'The Eyes of Nanashi'. While I find them to be a righteous and honourable shcool, they are a small school, and I will soon need to seek out another in order to continue my learning."
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (8) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll