Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» SotC: Zombies, ♫ What the world needs now is...nom, nom
trick
 Posted: Jun 24 2011, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer
Group: Advanced Member

It seems rather odd to be putting this in the Real World subforum, but I think it's the most apropos; besides, this subforum seems to be rather unloved. Here's the basic pitch.

It's the real world, or at least it was until yesterday. Now there's a report of a zombie outbreak, at least that's what everyone is calling it. At the start of the campaign, nobody really know what's going on. There's lots of information on the news, but most of it is contradictory.

So, what are you supposed to do?

First, survive.

Second, learn. For the most part, the players do not know what the nature of the outbreak is, or in what ways these so-called zombies are posing a threat. If the characters have zombie lore, that might be really helpful, but it might come back to bite them if it turns out the zombies don't actually act that way.

Third, act your characters out. Would they help people? Would they build a fortress? Would they protect people in exchange for goods? Would they go rampaging and looting?

I'm using a variation of Spirit of the Century called After the Rise. It's more-or-less Spirit of the Century plus a few small rules. I can upload the pdf here if desired.

Finally, I'm looking for at least 2 players, ideally 3-4, max 5. I'm looking at playing on evenings during the weekday (Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday) but I'm open to Sundays too.

This post has been edited by trick: Jun 24 2011, 10:50 PM
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 25 2011, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Looking at the system, I find the emphasis on survival weeks to months beyond the main event to provide an interesting contrast to the last zombie game we played in. I especially find the whole madness mechanics to be pretty cool.

I'm guessing that the focus on the campaign will be on the longer issues of survival during a zombie apocalypse rather than on the more immediate ground-zero stuff that we did in our last zombie game. If so, then I'm interested.
PMEmail Poster
^
trick
 Posted: Jun 25 2011, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Right. I'm kinda tentatively thinking of timing the game at about the speed of real life, so 1 to 2 weeks of time covered per session.

Zombies won't be the only threat. You're going to have too look after your needs for food and shelter too. The sorts of problems that you're going to have in the first session are probably going to be very different from the problems that you're dealing with 3 months into the game.
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jun 26 2011, 01:08 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

I think that for this type of campaign (and this is just my opinion) there really needs to be established, solid, and possibly compelling reasons for a "party" to form. If we look at human behaviour in emergency situations it can either be really good, or really bad. Often leadership has something to do with it, as well as the overall moral situation of the group, but I'm a firm believer that people are generally stupid, selfish, and coniving creatures. So if players choose to play characters like that then there will be more threats from within than without. Again, just mho.
PMEmail Poster
^
trick
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Update on this. I found a rule book for AFMBE, so I'm using that instead. (I don't know if I can change the topic to reflect that).

That's a good point, Jimbo. I'm planning to have a party creation session where the players come up with characters that actually would work together. The current ideas I have are:

* A group of friends (e.g. a bunch of roleplayers who were in the middle of an rpg when it happens).
* Public safety workers (police/firemen/paramedics) with optionally some people they ended up rescuing.
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Sounds interesting. I'm definitely into the idea of party creation as opposed to just individual character creation.

In terms of scheduling, I'm more likely to be free on Sundays, but I'll have to see. My availability will be much more predictable come September, so I'll keep you posted.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Interested though I don't know what I would play.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'm into this, as long as it falls on an evening that I can play.

My schedule will soon become a bit more restricted, though I may be open for a Monday game.
PMEmail Poster
^
trick
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

I'm leaning towards Mondays. I'd like to do Sunday, because that would mean Ryan could join, but the fact is that I won't be free on Sundays till mid-August probably, and even that could be spotty. Better something than nothing.

I'm going to need to do some planning, but I could have a party creation session as soon as July 11.

This post has been edited by trick: Jun 28 2011, 10:50 PM
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: Jul 1 2011, 07:15 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

It may still be worth it for me to come to that (depending on when it is and where I am; the 11th is a Monday). I may not be able to play at first, but at least I'll have a character that will work for the game when I can.

This post has been edited by dingo: Jul 2 2011, 11:03 AM
PMEmail Poster
^
trick
 Posted: Jul 3 2011, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Good point, dingo. I'm thinking somewhere between 6pm and 10pm on Monday (basically starting and ending at those hours, but people have permission to be late or leave early). I'm still working on a place.

This post has been edited by trick: Jul 3 2011, 12:17 AM
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jul 3 2011, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

I should be able to host if we need a location.
PMEmail Poster
^
trick
 Posted: Jul 3 2011, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Thanks Greg, we'll be having it at your place.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jul 3 2011, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

is that this Monday?
PM
^
trick
 Posted: Jul 3 2011, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

No, it's July 11.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll