Forum Rules Important

  1. This forum is dedicated for PbP campaigns in a particular setting, feel free to read if you wish, but refrain from posting unless you are part of the campaign.
  2. If you wish to join a campaign PM the GM for that campaign and they will make a decision.
  3. PbP is often very different from regular table top forms of RP, please see a GMs campaign pitch for guidelines on style, frequency, and format of posts.

Pages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» L5R Steel & Honour, Chapter 14, The long dark
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jul 30 2013, 11:24 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 755



The air is warm and muggy so deep underground, as if the fires of the earth might erupt from a fissure at any moment. If anything it would at least provide some welcome light. Reijiro holds the great no-dachi out before him with one hand and cautiously traces the wall of the cavern with the other. The spell of Wave Borne Speed that Moshi Kinyo cast upon him has long since died out but his heart still pounds in his ears like thunder. Even still he can tell when the path he follows widens and narrows, when the echos of his footfalls betray the deep chasms on either side. He has seen no sign of his quarry for some time, he has seen nothing at all but the occasional pulse of green light emanating from the Lion's blade to help him choose his way. The last spawn he faced was over an hour ago, and though his going is slow he is much further below the surface now.

The sword hasn't glowed now for a mile or more. He is lost.

------

The party comes upon the seventh scene of conflict in these caverns. Like all the dead spawn before it this one has a single long wound cutting down its side. By the sprays of black blood on the walls it struggled for some time afterward, but the first strike was the last, and deadly.

Shortly after the ratling pauses. His nose raised he sniffs the stale air.
"Jiro-san went-went that way, but demon did not."

Kitsune Kiyoshi holds his torch higher and looks about. Toku Kaede turns from the dead spawn and points out the obvious. "But the tunnel doesn't split here Nik'rr'tck, it had to have gone that way. What else would Reijiro be following?"

"Maybe the ronin is lost, or perhaps now that he has his prize he seeks to flee both us and the oni." States Daidoji Ebizu.

The masked samurai points upward to a shadow high in the wall above where the nezumi is still snuffling about for a trace.
"You might be partly right noble Crane. He did not think to bring with him a torch, nor so many friends."

"Well then," the Crane replies, "Which of our quarries do we follow?"

"My spell will have run out by now, and if he cannot see he cannot go fast or risk falling to his death, and that sword looks like it has been an effective weapon against the oni spawn so far." Says Kinyo.

Kaede scratches his stubble and says absentmindedly,
"I think I could climb up there."
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Aug 4 2013, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 625



"I pray that Reijiroo-san safe, but the ooni is a much more pressing matter. Let me give you a hand up Tooku-san"

This post has been edited by Chronocide: Aug 4 2013, 10:08 PM
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Aug 9 2013, 01:54 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 357



"While I agree that the Oni needs to be dealt with, that sword contains all the honour that my family has left. If I lose it because some ronin couldn't keep his kleptomaniac tendencies under control, I can never rest in peace. I will continue after the ronin."

Akio continues down the main cave.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Aug 9 2013, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 625



"For my part I hoold that oone who willingly releases that which he treasures for the greater good of the Empire stores up for himself greater honour by far then any other. Though I cannot knoow all that drives your choosing, I trust that you will do what you believe must be done.
To the extent that it concerns me you need not worry about your honour."
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Aug 12 2013, 06:33 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 755



'Clang', 'clang', 'clang'. Reijiro swings the no-dachi back and forth striking stone with each slow swing. The blade does not glow again, but each strike sheds a small shower of sparks. It is not much, but enough to see some way around.

He comes to a cross, chooses left and then continues. After twenty minutes he comes to a small cavern with no discernable exit. He slowly walks the perimeter striking the walls hoping for some direction to reveal itself, even some spawn would be better than nothing. The fire in his chest begins to give way to hopelessness.

Then he spots some movement accompanied by a strange fluid sound that he cannot place. In the flicker of sparks he sees a dark shape, scales and bulbous eyes, standing by the far wall. The next flicker shows him short sharp teeth and a clawed hand reaching for him quite close...

----


"I do not believe that we are a match for the Oni Lord without the Lion's weapon or the ronin. I think we should find him first. We can move much faster knowing that there are no oni spawn ahead." Says Kinyo.

Ebizu shakes his head.
"No, from what we have learned about this demon we must track it down and kill it as soon as possible. If we do not it will only find another lair and begin this cycle over again."

"I will go with Toku-san and Kitsune-san." Says the masked samurai.

Kaede scrambles up the wall with a boost from Kiyoshi.
"It went this way alright, a tight fit for him, but not so bad for us. Here Nik'rr'tck, you are the lightest, I will pass down my rope."

The Ratling quickly climbs the rope and the Monkey calls for the next person to climb up.

Moshi Kinyo turns to Akio,
"I am with you in your quest Matsu-san. I can perhaps reunite us before the final battle. I hope we will not be too late." She says it with a certain sadness, as if she is privy to something that no others can understand.

Daidoji Ebizu grunts a gruff acknowledgement and labouriously climbs the rope.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Aug 18 2013, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 625



The last to ascend the rope, Kiyoshi pauses and considers the situation. While he is sure that everyone is doing what they believe is right, he doesn't think that splitting up is a good idea... not a good idea at all.
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Aug 21 2013, 12:25 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 357



"Stay close, then, Moshi-san. We wouldn't want to have you go missing now."

Akio heads off down the tunnel after helping boost up the rest of the party.
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Sep 8 2013, 10:46 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 755



Reijiro strikes without thought, adjusting his regular kata to the additional length of the sword automatically. Mid swing the blade begins to glow and he glimpses some strange beast lifting an arm as if to ward off the blow. His cut is perfect but the creature remains where it is. He hears the strange fluid sound again and finds his hands hold only the hilt of the greatsword. The five foot long blade glows in a puddle on the floor. Through some sorcery his attacker has stripped him of his weapon. He pulls forth his tanto and tries to charge ahead, but he nearly falls flat on his face. Pulling himself up off the ground the ronin sees that his legs have sunk into solid stone up to his knees. The reptilian creature turns away from him silently and regards the glowing puddle.

----

Moshi Kinyo pulls a small scroll from a case in her obi as they walk and quietly murmurs the words. Behind them the sounds of the other party quickly disappear. As she finishes her spell the scroll catches fire and turns to ash in her hands. The last finger of flame, however, jumps into the air ahead of her and keeps burning. It is only as large as a candle, but still enough to see by.
"We should be able to go fairly quickly now, but at the next intersection I would wish to stop and commune with the earth kami."

----

Nik'rr'tck quickly takes the lead through the tight winding tunnel. Bits of black fur cling to the jagged walls where the oni lord must have had a very tight fit. They walk hunched and in silence for a time, but as the way becomes wider they begin to travel side by side and the conversation continues in hushed tones.


"Do you need to rest a bit Daidoji-san? It was only a day or so ago that we found you nearly dead." Asks Kaede.

The Crane simply replies,
"I am an Iron Crane." and leaves it at that.

The masked samurai walks just behind Kaede, listening intently to every little thing that comes out of his mouth. The smiling Hakkuko mask echos slightly as it turns around to Kiyoshi and asks,
"Kitsune-san, how have you enjoyed this one as a traveling companion?"
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Sep 10 2013, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 357



...

...

dammit Jimbo.

....


"Many thanks for the light, Moshi-san. Let us move quickly."

The Lion strides down the tunnel, his hammer slung across his shoulders and the recovered javelin strapped to his back.

The javelin i picked up at the end of the last battle, in case you were wondering. i gave the yari to Kitsune and kept the javelin.


This post has been edited by redeadlink: Sep 14 2013, 02:32 AM
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Sep 10 2013, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 755



:P

After about ten minutes of walking down a very slight incline the Mantis Shugenja and Lion Deathseeker come to a split. A path leads off to their right, descending at roughly the same rate, and the other continues straight ahead but levels out as far as they can see. The air is musty no matter how much the Lion sniffs.

Moshi Kinyo puts her hand lightly on Akio's shoulder,
"This will take a couple minutes. I will commune with the kami here and try to find out what I can about the oni lord as well as the ronin. The earth spirits are strange though, they are old and not very active, most this deep underground will be immune to my call. Those that will hear me may not easily answer, and their answers will be from the perspective of the stone in which they live, almost riddles to us. Do you have any questions you think I should ask them?"

She seats herself down on the ground cross legged with her back positioned against a wall of rough stone.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Sep 12 2013, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 625



Kiyoshi finds the masked samurai's way off asking a bit odd and thinks a moment before responding "You honour me to ask for my oopinion in spite of scarcely knoowing who I am. I am by the way, Kitsune Kiyoshi at your service. As for Toku-san he is an earnest if not a bit irregular and inconsistent samurai. Doesn't seem the sort to run away that's for sure, though what drives him and what he values I cannot say. What about yourself? What has brought you to us? For I am most grateful for your help."
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Sep 13 2013, 01:32 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 755



"I have been with you for quite some time Kitsune-san, though not always seen. Kaede-san has grown very dear to me." A pause and then the voice continues and a smile can be hear through the mask. "He values his family and his friends, and he is driven by what is right, don't you think? He is a sensitive soul."

Perhaps it is the idealistic words colouring his perception, but the voice sounds suddenly very young to the Fox, and somewhat naive.

"I am here as a helper, and as a watcher. You can call me Hitasura. What drives you?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Itinerant
 Posted: Sep 14 2013, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 87



Oops, I totally forgot this thread existed for the last month. :blink: It hit me like a wave today and I rushed home to post! Jimbo, thanks for posting on my behalf!


Reijiro regards the sticky situation he has gotten himself into. The strange fluid sound, seems to be some sort of illusionary lake in the center of the cavern. He looks at the strange creature, silhouetted by the glowing light of displaced blade. He attempts to backtrack to solid land, in hopes that he can circle around the edge of the cavern, figuring that the illusionary lake is deepest in the center, and could be circumnavigated by staying close to the wall. If he can just get to the blade, he might be able to re-engage the creature with it.
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Sep 15 2013, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 357



"I do not know of anything specifically to ask, Moshi-san. I leave that matter in your capable hands."

Akio takes up a defensive position near Moshi Kinyo.

"None shall get through to you while I yet live."
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Sep 19 2013, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 755



Reijiro finds that he cannot move his legs no matter how much he struggles. A sense of claustrophobia, not yet triggered by all the tonnes of earth above him, begins to seep into his mind causing his heart to pound. He reaches down and touches the surface of what he believes is a hidden lake and his fingers meet solid stone. He has heard of great shugenja and heroic efforts causing the ground to split open and devour whole armies, but never something so subtle as this.

The creature makes a rattling and hissing in its throat as if conversing with someone unseen in a strange language. After about a minute and half of leaving the ronin helplessly trying to escape it turns on him and points a clawed finger at his face.
"Theeessss neemuraaani eesss no ghyourrrrrssss." It takes Reijiro a moment to realize the thing speaks a rough form of Rokugani.

----

Moshi Kinyo rolls her eyes once and then closes them,
"Typical, thinking with your spear."

She murmurs unintelligibly for a few moments and then sits bolt upright as if she has been shocked. Her body tenses and her fingers clench into fists. Akio watches cautiously, wondering if this could be normal. The colour drains from her face and tears begin to leak out of her closed eyes. Her back arches sharply and she tilts her head back cracking her skull on the stone wall behind her.
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll