Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Help me Pick, anime from a hat
redeadlink
 Posted: May 22 2012, 03:38 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

So I've gotten sick of watching the Tastes Like Diabetes series that is Ah! My Goddess. So much sappiness and sweetness, I can feel my teeth rotting.

I've got a list of anime that i've chopped up and put into a hat. I pull out two at a time.

1. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

2. Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (series, not the movie)

Which one?
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: May 22 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Which one was in your left hand?
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 22 2012, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Hmm don't know that either would really be your test.
But I would go with Nadia, given that you don't like sappiness and sweetness I would stay away from anything Clamp.
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: May 22 2012, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Nadia wasn't bad. I never finished it myself, though. It took some rather odd plot turns. It's not what I'd call mature, since there are a lot of cutesy moments. But coming from Ah! My Goddess! it'll be more palatable.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 22 2012, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Okay made a short list of series I figure you might like based on shows you said you have liked. I tried to get a mix across different time periods and get the well known ones as well as the more obscure titles. Placed in alphabetical order.

A Certain Magical Index [To Aru Majutsu No Index]
Black Cat
Elemental Gelade
Hunter x Hunter **
Licensed by Royalty
Oh! Edo Rocket
Pumpkin Scissors
Sacred Blacksmith
Stratos 4
Tenchi Muyo ***
The Third
Valkyria Chronicles

**There is an old TV series followed by 3 OVAs that ran some years back and never completed and a newer reboot, which is paced much better and seems like it might actually finish. So you may want to hold off and just watch the new reboot grabbing them as the seasons become available on DVD.

***There are several universes of Tenchi Muyo so some precaution is necessary just don't watch Tenchi in Tokyo (complete crap)
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: May 22 2012, 10:22 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't know about you, but I just wanted someting that was less of a mindscrew than Neon Genesis Evangelion and FLCL.

So, I figured I'd finish watching the 2nd season of Ah! My Goddess, only to remember why I stopped watching it in the first place.

What about Bubblegum Tokyo Crisis (I think that's what it was called)? Saw an ad for it on my NGE dvds and was mildly interested.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 23 2012, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Don't really know much about Bubblegum Tokyo crisis. It has had a couple of incarnations I think. But if you do like it, "Dominion tank police", "Dirty pair flash", and the "Burn up" series might also be up your alley. I've only looked them over haven't watched any of them but they seem to have a similar feel.
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: May 28 2012, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Am about halfway through Dead Leaves and I have utterly no idea what is going on.

TvTropes did not help very much either. Pretty much told me to describe FLCL on distilled crack and LSD.

Oh well. I think i'm gonna go Nadia for this round.
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: May 28 2012, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

OH MAN! Release date for Eva 3.0 is October 23. So stoked.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 28 2012, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Hate to burst your bubble but,
unless you wanna watch shaky cam it will be at least another 6 months, before you can watch it out here. Alternatively I suppose learning Japanese and going to Japan are also options.
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Jun 3 2012, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

NOOO!!!! Not the bubble! The bubble was safe!

Anyways, I thought the article I read said US release but I could have been wrong.

Anyways, I am asking myself why I keep doing certain things. As in, I just bought another CLAMP production. Hopefully Chobits turns out good. I've read the manga though, and it seemed less sappy than Ah! My Goddess. Also bought Trigun, and the new Dragon Age movie.
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: Jun 3 2012, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Trigun is cool. I keep meaning to watch the movie.
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Jun 18 2012, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Yeah I don't know anything about the Trigun movie.

I just picked up Air Gear. The premise seems cool, kinda a cross between hip-hop, gang wars, and roller derby. Plus the easy to follow story is giving it a high place in my books coming out of NGE and its mindscrew brethren. Story seems a little lackluster, but the action scenes are decent.

8/10 would recommend, but not if you don't like fanservice in your shows, as it's pretty well-endowed in that regard.

Wish I could get my TTGL dvds back from my cousin though.

On an entirely unrelated note:

How do I make words into links to other pages without the whole link showing up?

For example:

If i wanted to link to tvtropes CoolvsAwesome page. If I could make the bolded part the link instead of pasting in the url like this

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolVersusAwesome
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 19 2012, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

You do it like this
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Jun 19 2012, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Thanks

This is for you.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll