Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "BESM: Giant robots in space"

Pages: (16) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Mass Effect RPG, Save the Galaxy!
Greg
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

So what with my Tomb of Horrors campaign coming to a close pretty soon, I've been giving some thought towards the possibility of running a Mass Effect campaign based on the setting of the Mass Effect video games. More information on the setting can be found here. (The codex contains the more important information)

My primary idea is for the campaign to be more on the heroic side of what we usually play, much like the plot of mass effect. This does not necessarily mean that you have to play the Paragon Captain America type person, but it does mean that the galaxy needs saving, and the party members are the only ones with the ability and will to do it.

While the game isn't going to be a total slugfest, the game will most likely be pretty combat heavy. Heroic adventures require heroic battles, so all characters should have some combat capability. Having to stay on the ship during all the missions isn't actually all that fun.

I'm going to be using either the Savage Worlds System, or Star Wars Saga Edition, both of which I have the core rules for in physical form. Both of these systems already have had fan conversions into the Mass Effect setting available online, and both do a decent job of handling the game setting.

It would be ideal for at least one person to be a specter, as it gives the party citadel sanctioning, as well as access to council intelligence and resources. However being a Specter should subject to the approval of the rest of the party, as being made a specter would effectively make you the party leader (unless some other agreement is reached). I am also fine with having multiple specters in the party as long as everyone else is fine with that.

The most important thing about setting up this game is going to be determining a galactic threat that everyone in the party will want to rally against for some reason or another. (No just doing it for the money, or "because I was told to") To that end, the character creation session will also contain an amount of figuring out who or what the party is going up against, and why the party members want team up to stop it. I think I'll try doing this in a somewhat creative way to make things more interesting.

I already have some support on running this game from other players, though it would be good to know how many other people are interested in participating.

This post has been edited by Greg: Jun 27 2011, 04:15 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I am totally all over this!!!! Mass Effect is awesome, and I didn't know people would do a tabletop version. The only beef I have is, would the story of the campaign echo the story of the main games too much, or would it be different enough to still be interesting? Why would I put time and effort into something that I've already completed?
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

No worries there. While I want to recreate the overall thematic feel of the Mass Effect games in a tabletop game, I'm not planning on recreating the specifics of the plot. The party is NOT going to be trying to take down Saren, the rogue specter, and there is NOT going to be a suicide mission through the Omega 4 relay. Where would the fun in that be, when we've already played that?

What I want to do is something similar, but yet different and new.

I'm going to leave the specifics of what what should go on the "dust jacket summary" for a round-table discussion during the character creation session, so as to make sure that it's something that all the players would be interested in.
PMEmail Poster
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Definitely interested and would undoubtedly play. Of the two systems you mentioned I personally would prefer Saga, but would be fine with either.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

My current stance is indifferent interest.
PM
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

QUOTE (Greg @ Jun 27 2011, 12:12 PM)
The most important thing about setting up this game is going to be determining a galactic threat that everyone in the party will want to rally against for some reason or another. (No just doing it for the money, or "because I was told to")

This is awesome and I fully support this.
(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/RxcPF.gif)
Disclaimer: Not saying this is the only way to do campaigns...
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Definitely count me in. Are you planning to actually use the fan conversion (for either system) you mentioned?
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 28 2011, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'm likely going to be running it using this set of conversion rules, though I may be modifying certain things.

As for what Saga Edition content I'll be using, I will be incorporating pieces of content from other sourcebooks at my own discretion. I'll be posting know what non-core content I'll be allowing before we go into character creation.

This post has been edited by Greg: Jun 28 2011, 10:14 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Jun 29 2011, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

This site has the updated version of those conversion rules including more biotic powers and the adept base class, which could be useful if someone wants to play a biotics user.

There's probably an updated version of the pdf out there, but I haven't seen it yet.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 29 2011, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Thanks for finding that. It even fixes my gripe about the mechanics in regard to the biotic power recharge rules.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 29 2011, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Upgrade status to Mostly Interested
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jun 29 2011, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

*wishing he had more time on his hands* :(
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 29 2011, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Yeah, sorry this is pretty much happening when you're at your busiest.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Jul 5 2011, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I've decided that aside from the Mass Effect conversion rules, I'm only going to allow material from the Star Wars: Saga Edition core rulebook.

If you want me to include material from other sourcebooks, buy me a physical copy of that sourcebook.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Jul 6 2011, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I may be wrapping up the adventure for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen this Sunday, so I may be doing the campaign setup session within the next couple weeks.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (16) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll