Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» YARG - Yet Another Roleplaying Game
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jun 25 2011, 01:13 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

Sorry, in regards to the critical successes, when you say weapon damage do you mean wound damage (from the scale) or stun damage? I assume it is wound damage since you reference heavy, and the weapon already does stun/stamina damage. This is the kind of stuff I tend to notice, when all is said and done feel free to send it to me for proofing.

As for more opportunities, I was thinking something that allows movement. I don't know what your "attack of opportunity" idea is, but to be able to move around for free prior to attacking, without being suceptable to extra attacks. I dunno, may not apply. Also what about one that gives a bonus to allies, maybe forgo your attack to shout out directions and advice. Call it Command or something and maybe make a Leadership skill roll and divide the result among your allies as a bonus for the next round. Another one could be Challenge, where a roll is made and if the target of the challenge engages another unit the next round they receive a penalty based on the roll, kind of an aggro control thing.

I don't have any ideas for feats/powers right now.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 25 2011, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

Changes
-Changed "weapon damage associated with weapon" to "wound damage associated with weapon. " Clarified that stun damage is still also dealt.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 27 2011, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Changes
-made more fines tuning to the result of successes on combat rolls.
-added a proposition for armour.

Things about armour. A character who wears a lot of plate is going to need a lot of stamina, and is likely going to be out of stamina fairly quick. However they can take a way Heavier beating as their wound count is significantly increased. I think it is pretty interesting that with the damage class reduction the character gets knocked out of battle just as easy as if he didn't have the damage class reduction but the mortality of the KO is much lower. Also the magic armour is kind of fun, since magic, when I figure out exactly how powers should work, will consume Stamina this adds to the total number of spells a mage can cast, but as a trade off the mage is much more susceptible to real damage. Though oddly enough less likely to get there in the first place. It also seems to address the problem of mages done up in heavy armour. Their ability is not reduced (something I think people find annoying) but their casting pool is greatly reduced.

Big problems is working out exactly what the +s and -s should be and also it seems like this is making stamina a bit too important, but cant be sure without play testing. Also just like with the weapons reducing the stamina penalty by a point or 2 is a nice way of giving the player better gear.

Still pondering things like shields and dual wielding. Thinking shields will have a stamina penalty like armour, but add a significant bonus to your roll (for purposes of defending) eg Char1 rolls 30 Char2 rolls 40 however Char1 has a shield which grants +15 for defence. Char1s roll is now 45, for purpose of defence but this does not mean the beat char2s roll and get to attack them.

As always C&C is helpful.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Sep 17 2011, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Will wonders never cease! I actually came back to this!
changes:
-made some refinements to Attributes and Senses.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Nov 17 2011, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Hey so yesterday we got a little bit of play testing done for YARG and I will attempt to summarize some of the findings.

-70 points on an incremental buy system seems to work for attributes, but we need some way to deal with leftovers. ;) <_<
-We didn't have a method to determine how many skill points players should have and players were just given 10, players felt this was not enough. <_<
-Actually making the combat rolls was initially a little complicated but players had a good feel for it by the end :D
-Despite the large number of dice it was never really unmanageable. :D
-the cooperative pools turned out to be pretty fun and some interesting potential strategies were found :D
-Stamina points were a little too high, even if special actions start using up stamina they should be reduced a little.
-The actual Wounds felt about right.
-Players were not keen on the idea that mechanically there isn't really any difference between a mage, warrior or rogue. The difference is only in how they describe their actions. :(
-The tools of the game need to include a sheet for keeping track of battles, who is attacking who, and what the rolls were for a round.

To give some more distinct mechanical feel, opportunities will provide some aspect (they were not included in the play test. Also Powers might work well, most basically a power would be a special move or spell that the player performs as their action, (perhaps with special conditions or rules) and would cost Stamina to execute. They would then resolve similar to weapons; roll a dice match the number to see what the effect is, effects could range from bonus stamina damage, to outright wound damage, to skill penalties.

I would also like to give a narrative description of how I envisioned the last round of battle:

The rogue antagonized the last remaining goblin bringing him into a frothing rage and sending him into a full out charge. At the last instant the rogue spun smoothly to the side leaving the goblin to meet the warriors incoming shield in a very physical manner. The goblins pulls himself from the ground, his crooked nose broken horribly and just begins to get his wits about him when an earth golem called forth by the magician rises up behind the goblin and smashes its head down bellow its shoulders.
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Nov 17 2011, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

Looking over the posts again I am not sure about how much stamina points would need to be reduced. If they are used for other things, like wearing heavy armour and casting spells then maybe they should be that high.

In regards to the lack of a mechanical difference between a magic action and an attack with a physical weapon I conceptualize that better now. It makes a lot more sense after realizing that it is up to the player to narrate the roll. That said, I think my issue was also what I brought up earlier regarding the unarmed combatant: What happens when a specific fighting style/spell is intended not for dealing damage but for inflicting another effect, like stun, incapacitate, or confuse? We did realize that flashbangs were great tools in Firefly not because of their damage potential, but because of the effects they caused. As much as this can be rationalized by narration I think the key to satisfying a players need for tactical effects is through opportunities. We didn't playtest them, but I think it would be good if we tried sometime. I also think that the more the merrier.

Currently the opportunities listed are:
Open Shot
Grapple
Heavy Hit
Multi Hit
Counter Attack
Negate

I also suggested:
Command
Challenge
Maneuver

But I would like to see some effects added there as well, so a controller type character can maybe add some flavour to his actions.
Stun (target is unable to act next turn. This could be the result of a pressure point attack by a monk, a poison dart attack by a rogue, a flashbang, or any number of spells designed to hinder but not harm. Similar to paralyze or incapacitate.)
Confuse (target would act in a random way the next turn, attacking an ally or something. This could be the result of an illusionary spell, a drug, even fear caused by intimidation.)

With 6 opportunity slots available I would be hard pressed to feel very unique with my Elementalist. I would obviously go for Heavy Hit, Multi Hit, and Open Shot since mages are ranged and take no benefit from Grapple or Counter. But those are the same opportunities that a Warrior would likely take, at least a damage dealing powerhouse. More options are better for diversifying characters styles. And I think that opportunities will be where this system really shines.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Nov 17 2011, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

In regards to stun:
I actually have changed grapple to lock. Which basically generalises it.
When locking an opponent the opponent is helpless for the duration of the lock but you may only attack the locked opponent. Your attack/defence is considered halved, because so much effort is being put into pinning the enemy down, but it is also the only opportunity that can be carried over.

Confuse would work best as a skill power:
the power could be assigned to manipulate, conjure, illusion magic, and a wide array of other skills. And might have a power card like:

Confuse
Cost: 10 Perseverance Stamina
Effect: On a success the enemy is confused for a number of turns equal to the Rank of the skill this power draws from. On an extra success the enemy is confused for Rank + Lvl Turns

Quite OP but gives an example of what powers could do.

One of the problems with powers is that I am trying to keep it down to one roll a turn, which:
A) is cool
B) keeps battle quick and
C) is necessary given the number of dice used.

However when using a power, the player would clearly use their skill roll as their "combat roll" for that round which starts getting a little weird. So you are casting confuse on some target and another target is attacking you how exactly, are you defending that attack with your confuse spell power? One resolution is to say when using powers if you lose against any combat roll the spell fails.
e.g. you cast confuse on Goblin A and that confuse would be successful however Goblin B attacks you and gets through your defence, causing you to loose focus. Conversely if you do manage to defend it was because you channelled a little bit of the confuse spell to cause your attacker to miss you while your main spell hits the target.

While I am on the topic of powers I may as well mention that warriors would not be left out.

Charge
Cost 5
Effects same as a regular attack but on a success push the enemy back up to Rank squares, on a extra success Rank + Level squares.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll