Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "BESM: Giant robots in space"

Pages: (14) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Giant Robot campaign, 3-4 players, weekly
Greg
 Posted: Jan 20 2014, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

I might just steal Sami's theme from Advance Wars. That was some of the best noise I ever heard out of a 32 bit gaming device.

PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 20 2014, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Just for clarification.

The Light, Medium, Heavy Frame, would have more to do with power output and armaments then actual size or mass right?
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 20 2014, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Currently going with this for theme song.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jan 20 2014, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

No objections to that here. FF6 was my favorite RPG from its era.
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jan 20 2014, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

I think that due to the nature of heavy armour + more armaments the frame would be heavier as well. Don't you think?
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 20 2014, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Ideally not, the square cube law and all.
But I don't want to get into the science of it it's more of a gameplay setting thing.
I just really don't want to see it be a now you have a better mech; it's bigger taller. With exceptions of a few mechs that are supposed to be exceptional in a given show mechs tend to all be about the same size.
It also doesn't feel likely that the military would be likely to take us, who they have spent lots of money training in LSFs, and then tell us now you are piloting HBFs if there was a large difference between them.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 01:14 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

I agree with Chrono's sentiments. It would make sense to have people trained for the medium level of Mech and then specialize from there. It would be good to potentially see Light Mechs as something that an experienced pilot would actually use rather than just the first in a line of stepping stones to the biggest, heaviest, most gun-laden pile of metal on the continent.

For light mechs, think of them as a specialization rather than a tiny mech. You want something that can run, or possibly even fly, circles around other mechs. While you would have an emphasis on being lightweight, you'd need to give it at least a medium range weapon with which to defend itself. Instead of packing heavier weapons, a Light mech would ideally make use of differing suites of utility gear such as mines, cloaking devices, hacking tools, and advanced recon and communications equipment.

A LSF would also be the go-to choice for a sniper, if you focus most of the load capacity on carrying a high quality long range weapon. A Scout mech would allow a sniper the extra time and maneuverability to set up a good position, again while not making himself an excessively big target.

MAFs should be the standard class that would be trained with initially, though I could see training with cheaper MAF's with a fairly generic suite of weapons initially, and then having the higher quality MAF's going into closer range combat.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

I want to clarify I don't have issue with the HBF > MAF > LSF. I only have a problem with that if they are vastly different in size or operation. From an economic standpoint it makes sense to have cheaper ones that are just not as good. I only have an issue with the gradient if the mechs themselves are very different, in size or operation, which is why I envisioned power output as being the biggest difference, a bigger engine, makes the mech better no matter what it's role.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 09:46 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Ah. Okay. My argument was more that a light mech should still be valid as an option on the battlefield. I remember from my days of playing the Mechassault games for the Xbox that you could destroy mech classes much heavier than your own using a tiny scout mech by outmaneuvering them.

Our rpg universe is free to diverge from this, of course, but I like it as a bit of a balancing mechanic.
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Jan 22 2014, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

and my two cents is of course going to be "Screw Science, I have a mecha."

Though I've never really thought about stuff like this before...
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Jan 22 2014, 02:38 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

There won't be a big discrepancy in size, not enough to make it matter if these things were drawn out to scale. I think weight would be the one factor I am ok with having variation in. Thicker armour = more weight, but bigger powerplant = "it doesn't matter". As for size I think aside from potential drones being much smaller, and mobile artillery frames being much larger, the mechs with single pilots will all be about the same size. I think there would definitely be a minimum size for the sorts of systems required to run one of these things.

Anyway, you are all starting in identical frames. And could someone bring drinks (non-pop is ok) and could someone also bring a good range of pencil crayons? My set has only 6 usable colours.

We'll eat chili, do character and party creation, and then start in on the first session I have mapped out.
PMEmail Poster
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Jan 23 2014, 12:40 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

okay, so this is the song i want.

Disturbed - Haunted
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 23 2014, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Since apparently we are looking for more of a battle theme than a character theme. I guess I will change to this.
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/12+Plan+1056/3IBDH0?src=5
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 23 2014, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Also want to say that I am really enjoying this so far. I was really happy to see some voluntary PC interaction that wasn't just PC's trying to achieve their goals but actually behaving like people.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jan 24 2014, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

More reasons I'm not a fan of Texas
http://i.imgur.com/OlGCPPv.jpg
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (14) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll