Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "DnD4ed: Gather knights to save the king!"

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» D&D 5E playtesting
Greg
 Posted: May 24 2012, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

Hey dudes. Wizards just opened up playtesting for the new edition of Dungeons and Dragons to the public. The main catch here, is that everyone who is participating in the testing (both players and GM) are supposed to sign up for it. Fortunately, signing up for testing is NOT the same as subscribing for an insider account, so you will not need to pay any monthly fees for testing, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in trying this out, either by running or playing, let me know. I know we've got some players on these forums with a good eye for finding flaws and exploits with systems, so Wizards would probably get some benefit from out thoughts on the matter.
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: May 24 2012, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Very interesting. I'd like to give that a go. I'm open to either playing or DM'ing.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 25 2012, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'd be interested in playing.
PM
^
trick
 Posted: May 25 2012, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Me too!

Even though D&D isn't my thing, I really enjoy playtesting, and I haven't played it since 3.5 so it's probably about time.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: May 25 2012, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'm trying to figure out when would be a good time to do this. I was thinking Wednesdays, but I seem to recall Trick being unavailable then. If people could shout out what days they could open up for this for a handful of weeks, that would be great.

My availability is typically Mondays (unless Blacktrench is doing a bonus session for WoD), Tuesdays (may need to get a ride from someone if we're not playing at my place. Wednesdays, Thursdays opposite James's Warhammer, Saturdays, and Sundays.

I was thinking on bringing my sister in on this, seeing as she's expressed interest in joining or sitting in on one of our group's games sometime. (I think she dislikes how half her group is completely disinterested in playing the game, yet still refuse to leave her group because they don't want to be left out) She's been playing RPGs for about a year and a half, and running her own campaigns for about a year, but has had no experience with D&D so far, so she would probably be a good gauge for how well the game works with someone with little bias from previous iterations of the game. She has played generic fantasy video games in the past, such as Oblivion and Skyrim, so she knows a little bit about what to expect from a typical medieval fantasy setting.

Her availability is pretty much Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the summer, as she is typically camping with the family on weekends. She may be available Mondays, but that really depends on what time the family gets back from their weekend getaway.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

This post has been edited by Greg: May 26 2012, 01:30 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: May 25 2012, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

You'd know better than we do whether your sister would fit in, but if nobody else has concerns then I'm fine with it.

As of June, the only evenings that absolutely don't work are Fridays (other RPG's) and Saturdays (various volunteer things). I like to catch one or two movies on Tuesdays to review them, but that's somewhat flexible since I can often catch a matinee.

Also, according to the DnD Next FAQ, they have no issues with public discussion of the game, so I may get a good story out of this. I'll find out once my editor gets back to me.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: May 25 2012, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Oh, hey, that's great. That'll also give me an opportunity to express my thoughts on the system in text form as well, rather than blathering on about it with my mouth.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: May 26 2012, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

As for whether you are playing or running the game, dingo, I'm fine with whichever you think will be best for making a good review.

One thing that may factor in, is that I've already took a brief look at the sample adventure, so I know a bit about the premise of what we'll be doing in it, and may potentially bias things for me if i were to play a character. I'm also in a state where I have a lot of free time on my hands, which I should be putting towards getting money, but on the other hand, allows me to run this adventure on top of my Mass Effect game.

It looks like we'll probably be doing a Wednesday slot, similarly to when we reviewed Marvel. I can host at my place if nobody else is offering.
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: May 28 2012, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

@Greg Maybe you ought to run it then. I've got my own campaign idea I'm hoping to pitch soon, and I can write about DnD just as well if I'm playing.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: May 28 2012, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Works for me. I'll do my best to make the game a legitimately entertaining experience. Would it work for everyone involved if we were to try and get started on this as soon as this Wednesday at about 6:30?
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: May 29 2012, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I can do that. Might be a bit short notice for others, though.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: May 29 2012, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Chronocide is the one I'd be most concerned about being able to make it given the combination of short notice and the fact that he's in the process of moving these days.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 29 2012, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

looks like no.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: May 30 2012, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Alright, let's try again for next week. While I believe I would have been able to run thiis evening, I could make use of the extra week to produce a better game.

This post has been edited by Greg: May 30 2012, 07:07 AM
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Jun 5 2012, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

If possible, could someone bring a laptop so that we can have another copy of the rules at the table?
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll