Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "DnD4ed: Gather knights to save the king!"

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Fantasy Play By Post
Chronocide
 Posted: Feb 10 2012, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

RaCiel is a world that has forgotten it's past.
Empty ruins built by a people lost to time scatter the land. Many have been discovered and some of even been incredibly vast. Despite their size and prevalence not a single one found has ever contained a written word or image. This combined with the tendency for wisps and other malevolent creatures to gather has left most of them unexplored.

Most of the residence of RaCiel a simple existence in villages and small towns working the earth, or plying their craft. Magic which is not uncommon has made subsistence living much easier and most of the people in your village are satisfied enough with their lives to regard the ruins as a simple curiosity.

You however are not most people a desire for excitement and want for adventure gnaw at you. So when the largest village in the valley calls a meeting of importance you are sure to attend.

Okay so that is basically the intro.
All the PCs come from one of a handful of, village to small town, sized settlements in a river valley.
The largest settlement sends word that they are holding a meeting of great importance and your hope for adventure brings you in attendance.

As for setting we are talking about 15 century sort of time frame but their are no real kingdoms mostly independent cities and groups of settlements. However their are beasts and bandits that roam the woods and roads and the more populous towns often have a small guard even as the smallest villages will have a ranger patrolling the land.
Swords, daggers, axes, bows, spears and staves are not uncommon though heavy armour is.
Magic is generally pretty simple, and largely convenient for instance there is magic to let you communicate with others over a distance, healing magic, magic to make it rain, or to conjure fire, though the later are not always guaranteed.
There is no magic to let you fly or telleport. Over half the populous can use at least one spell, but more powerful magic is rare and genetic, it is open to PCs but what their spells will be will need to be approved.

The theme is that the PCs are the heroes they are the ones who go about discovering the mysteries of the world and ultimately changing it.
It is going to be fairly long term, I have nothing planned and will just make stuff up as I go. There will also be very little emphasis based on the mechanics. That being said, I think it is good to have a system in place, at least to help describe the characters.
So if you are interested or have a system suggestion post it here.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Feb 11 2012, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

We could use the Burning Wheel system for character creation. Aside from the magic system, it might work fairly well. I've got the book, and I haven't had an excuse to use it yet.

What where would it be in terms of realism ranging from 1 to 5 (1 being very low fantasy, almost no magic to 5 being ridonkulous fantasy, throwing any regard for physics out the window, like Final Fantasy VII, etc.)?

I'm assuming this will start once the Fort Libash pbp is over?
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Feb 11 2012, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'm not terribly keen on the burning wheel system isn't isn't really free as some other systems. Looking for something that basically says this character is good at these things with some proportional numeric value attached.

Magic is kind of in a range, the kind of magic that most people can use is more convenient then it is powerful. As for those who are of a genetic line that have the more offensive based magic, that can get to be quite powerful. But if I had to place a an upper limit I would say 3.75±0.05.

It will start as soon as it can, with regards to players and a system decided on
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Feb 12 2012, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

So far I'm really liking the Story Teller System, but it lacks magic. That being said since the actual game play mechanics don't matter perhaps it would be possible to merge in GURPS magic. (I would be open to using just GURPS as well if people preferred.) Heck I will even take another look at burning wheel. As always any ideas/opinions are welcome.

This post has been edited by Chronocide: Feb 12 2012, 08:09 PM
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Feb 12 2012, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Well, we could just cram together what elements we want from the different games. The reason I suggested Burning wheel is because I figure using the beliefs and instincts would be beneficial in a pbp, as well as the fact that I've been looking for an excuse to use the burning wheel rulebook that James got me. I could my Burning Wheel books to you if you want to rummage through the Gold Edition rules and Monster Burner.

If we were to take Gurps, we'll need to look at which gurps and add-ons we'll want to incorporate. Raw Gurps is fairly vanilla unless you incorporate rules from a particular Gurps theme book.

Some variant of Fate would also be a good idea, though it seems from last time we used it, we'll want to add a rudimentary magic system of some sort.

Storyteller has quite a few magic systems that are all quite different, but it seems that your issue is that your having trouble finding one that does what you want. You could check into the Mage rules from WoD, and see if that might work, though I haven't actually looked at them, myself, so it may be overly crazy.
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Feb 12 2012, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

I would like to play! I don't care about which system we use, if any. But if you are looking for something tweakable then maybe the L5R system would work. The main characteristics are basic but also arranged into elements that tie in nicely with magic, if you are going that way. Skills are always basic, and since there are no dice they don't mean much more than "this guy is good, average, or poor with swords". Again if you are looking to have a premade magic system then that'll be tough, but if you are up for doing your own spell list and then ascribing requirements for various tiers you can scale it how you like.

Regardless I will play and have fun.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Feb 13 2012, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Exactly Jimbo I am just looking for some numbers on what people are good at. L5R was a thought. But the magic is of the wrong flavour. I was looking at systems Sunday and am strongly thinking storyteller with a magic list. I would like to take a closer look at Burning Wheel and the Story Teller Core first though.

Anyway start thinking about and posting character concepts, if you want more info about the world please ask. We are starting out with a microcosm of the valley and expanding out from there so that I can avoid setting things in stone from the beginning.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Feb 13 2012, 09:48 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Wow just found fuzion and I really like a lot of things in it (also shares some ideas with YARG). It is a generic system, but is meant for modern day or future settings not fantasy. Also the rules are OGL and available here http://www.talsorian.com/software/fuzion.pdf
Indecently what would people think if I did something like fuzion with a list of custom skills, items and spells in order to adapt it for fantasy setting?
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Feb 14 2012, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

Like I said already I'm fine with any system, it's less important in the PbP format. But be careful not to make too much work for yourself.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Feb 18 2012, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Okay so I have decided on using Fuzion.

Here are the list of skills and spells:
Spells are bough just as skills. Lineage means you must be the descendant of a family who can use this spell. Any spell above lvl 3 is automatically a lineage spell.

I am open to changes

Animal Handling
-Taming
-Training
-Soothing

Athletics
-Climbing
-Running
-Jumping
-Swimming

Conversation
-Bribe
-Gossip
-Persuade
-Interrogate
-Seduce

Hunting
-Stalking/Stealth
-Tracking
-Trapping
-Foraging

Lore
-Magic
-People and Places
-Ruins
-Herbalism

Melee Weapons
-Axes
-Spears
-Halberds

Perception
-Lip Reading
-Surveying
-Search

Perform
-Acting
-Singing
-Playing Instrument (per instrument)
-Swords

Ranged Weapons
-Bows
-Crossbows

Unarmed Combat

Other
-Lock Picking
-Disarm traps
-Piloting(boats)
-Driving(animal powered things)
-Reading/Writing
-Painting
-Crafting(Baskets, tools, weapons etc.)
-Cooking
-Medicine

Magic

Raise Earth: short range - Common - Lvl: Area+
Raises spikes off earth to injure an opponent. The ground must be off earth or rock. Spikes crumble almost immediately after the attack.
Can also be used to till soil or dig a hole.

Summon Whisp: NA - Lineage - Lvl: Duration+
Summons a whisp to aid you in battle. If in a confined area the whisp may not be able to get to you to help.

Purify Air: short range - Common - Lvl: Area+
Cleans a small area of air of poisons and impurities.

Predict Weather: NA - Common - Lvl: Specificity+
Predict the weather in the local area. At low levels the user can find out what the general weather will be like in the next few days in the current area. At high levels the user can predict more specific weather results over a smaller time duration in a more local region. Eg. the next few weeks will be wet in the lowland regions Vs It is going to rain very hard tomorrow in the mountain pass.

Make Rain: NA - Common - Lvl: Effect+ Area-
Can increase the chance of rain in an area. Outdoors only
As level increases you can have greater ingluence on the chance of rain and can make it rain and can do so in a more and more specific area.

Clear Clouds: NA - Common - Lvl Effect+ Area-
Essentially the opposite of Make Rain

Lightning: Long - Lineage - Lvl: Range+
Causes lightning to strike a target. Must be outdoors, does not require clouds.

Ignite Fire: Very Short - Common Lvl: Time-
Can start a fire. As the user becomes more proficient this can be done faster and easier.

Fire Ball: Medium - Lineage - Lvl: Damage+
Engulfs a target in flames. The initual flames disappear rather quickly but anything they ignite will continue to burn

Heat: Very Short - Common Lvl: Effect+
Causes a target to heat up. The amount the target can be heated increases as lvl increases

Cool: Very Short - Common Lvl: Effect+
As Heat but opposite

Extinguish Fire: Medium - Common Lvl: Effect+
Puts out a fire. As Lvl increases this can put out stronger fires.

Purify Water: short range - Common - Lvl: Area+
As Purify Air but for water

Water Orb: range short - Common - Lvl: Effect+
Cause a volume of water to condense out of the air. The amount of water condensed increases as the level increases.

Minor Healing: very short range - Common - Lvl: Effect+
Heals light wounds from the target the amount that can be healed increases as the level increases.

Greater Healing: very short range - Lineage - Lvl: Effect+
Same as minor Healing but heals more severe but still none life threatening wounds

Major Healing: very short range - Lineage - Lvl: Effect+
Heal even life threatening wounds

Communicate: Very Long Range - Common - Lvl: Number of contacts+ Range+
The user first must touch a contact and can then communicate with them even over long distances. Both caster and contact must speak aloud.
The spell is considered in use when communication is taking place.

Seal: short range - Lineage - Lvl: Duration+ Area+
Can seal a target or area from performing magic. An area that is sealed will have any active magic such as Rain appropriately altered.
When Seal is cast the targets magic is reduced in accordance to the targets magic lvl - the casters seal magic lvl.

Release: short range - Lineage - Lvl:Range+
Removes a seal Release Seal must be greater then the seal cast.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll