Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "DnD4ed: Gather knights to save the king!"

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Axis Powers Higlander, Oddly enough, envisioned as D&D 3.5 :D
kallman1206
 Posted: May 16 2011, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File
Group: Advanced Member

Basic conciet: Each character is a nominated champion for a hamlet, magically endowed with the ability to respawn in their city hall unless fully conquered.

Each person would have vague mayoral duties, but the real issue would be the Duke who had been running the protectorate that included the municipalities represented by the party dying in mysterious circumstances, leaving the party (the former members of his council) to fend for themselves in an age where tyranny is suddenly in and neighbors see their sudden weakness...

I see gameplay as including traditional dungeons and questing to improve the quality of your holdings interspersed with fielding invading armies (and defending yourself from same). Generally the overall campaign objective would be to collectively gain control or form sufficient allegiances to bring the region back under the collective rule of law. Whether the party members decide individual tyranny and infighting serves them best (or, for that matter, eventual backstabbing), or a collective rule (some kind of republic with provinces is reasonable enough as an outcome if people want to end as friends :D)

Right though, the purpose of this post: Is there interest in something like this being run? If there's enough I'll make up some kind of map with regions and start accepting characters - it would be designed as a pretty long-running thing, to be warned. Probably level 1-15 or so, depending on how vicious tacticians you are, and if ruling the country is enough :P
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 16 2011, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'm intrigued, though I would definitely want to learn more about the character/fiefdom creation portion. How can points be spent? Can I buy a perfectly loyal second in command. Can I spend points to improve the fiefdoms military, resources, alliances, knowledge, or moral? What is the setting? I assume medieval Europe but that needs to be clarified.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: May 16 2011, 11:11 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'd be interested once some space clears up in my schedule. Perhaps once something else wraps up.
PMEmail Poster
^
kallman1206
 Posted: May 16 2011, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

I'd likely be seeing if I couldn't mostly copy say, medieval Germany, sort of pre- Bismark tribes theme, so Europe is a good call.

I was leaning towards D&D 3.5, so the character, outside of the effective immortality, would be level 1. Each hamlet or region would start with some Feature, which could be basically anything that seemed reasonable (not being helpful, Dylan, give some specifics).

Some potential starting features:

Natural Fortress: Your hamlet is established in an easily defensible area
Fertile Fields: Your hamlet can grow more in a season, increasing its population (and/or support of same)
Trained Militia: A culture of war-readiness means that more of the people are capable of fighting; moreover, when building an army a greater proportion will be skilled.
Old-Growth: The forests around the hamlet are of high-quality, improving construction and archery.
Rich Seams: The ore in the region is of high quality, improving arms and armour production in the region.
Place of Power: Benevolent spirits, fairies, or other magical beasties watch over the area, allowing you to field a few magical beasts on defense (at the least)
Good Lineage: You or one of the major supporters, are bred of good stock, and you have connections spanning centuries. Either you're famous enough to attract quality help or you have the contacts to acquire same.
Cathedral country: There's a major religious spot in your hamlet, which attracts pilgrimage. At the least, intelligence from the travelers, possibly profit from associated knicknack industry.
Conflux of sorcery: Your town is magical and attracts wizardy types - maybe there's a relic buried there, who knows. More magic is available for general use, or there's more competition for your contract, driving the price down.
Trade Center: Your hamlet is located in a port or is otherwise a key location on a trade route or three - you have access to more and better things than the town's sheer size would suggest.

In short, yes you could spend the nationbuilding points on pretty much anything in your list. If you want a loyal second in command you'd still have to take Leadership to get a cohort, but npcs with class levels and moderate (as opposed to rock-solid) loyalty are certainly possible.

I'm willing to accept some pretty decent opening hamlets, since it means a) I can make NPC citadels equally vibrant, and B) losing your hometown takes away your respawning magic so it's best that it be a place you'd want to fight for even if it wasn't a plot coupon.

Additionally, as you complete quests for the townfolk there's benefits beyond just experience and wealth for you - the hamlets will grow and new features will be unlocked as you make more of the countryside safe again.

tl;dr : when creating your character you will also be deciding on a key detail for which your town is known, which will give you and the town whatever cool to coolish benefit seems appropriate.

I'll be making a map prior to character creation, but it will be just like roads, cities, and blank territories, which you'll have to fill in with scouting (and so that you guys can have whatever major feature for your town as makes sense). I know that level of fog of war is silly, but them's the breaks. Someone killed all the cartographers back in the twelve thirties or something.

As the background is roughly "You were allies under a strong ruler who just got dead", you'd have to pick neighboring or close to neighboring territories, but I'll leave which up to you when the time comes.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 17 2011, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Just an idea, a while ago Greg or maybe Aggregate found a world building RPG which I was going to link to but cannot find ATM. Anyway the idea is that creating the map and world itself is a collaborative game with the future GM having final say over things. Might be worth looking into. Assuming of course that someone can remember what it was called and find the PDF again.
PM
^
Aggregate
 Posted: May 17 2011, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Do you mean dawn of worlds? (pdf)

Edit: I am also interested in this campaign.

This post has been edited by Aggregate: May 17 2011, 02:21 PM
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 17 2011, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Yup. That is the one.
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: May 17 2011, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Not to say I'm uninterested, but I don't think I can play this. Not unless you plan to run it on weekends.

Dawn of Worlds is a lot of fun, though, and it'd be a great tool in building your world.
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: May 17 2011, 11:26 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

I was going to recommend Dawn of Worlds as well. But as immensely interesting as this is (and it is) I doubt that I would have any time in the near future with which to invest into it (as in the next 8 months).
PMEmail Poster
^
SirKaid
 Posted: May 18 2011, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File

I'm in.

For the avatars: are you allowing anything beyond the PHB? If so, do you have a list of acceptable splatbooks or will it be more of "ask me and I'll approve/disapprove"?

For the hamlets: can we choose anything, within reason, to define our hamlet? For example, having the best wine fields, or perhaps a rare poisonous plant.

I would absolutely adore playing some kind of charisma-based assassin, if such a class exists and is allowed.
PM
^
Chronocide
 Posted: May 18 2011, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

PHB? Pointy haired boss? Polyhydroxybutyrate? I'm at a lost.
PM
^
SirKaid
 Posted: May 18 2011, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File

PHB = Player's Handbook. The basic classes, in other words. You know, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, that lot. Splatbooks are things like the Book of Exalted Deeds or the Tome of Battle, books with new classes and variant rules in them. Not all of the splatbooks are perfectly balanced, nor are they all appropriate to every campaign, but the ones which are allowed can add some variety to the game.
PM
^
kallman1206
 Posted: May 18 2011, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

Dawn of Worlds: Sure, why not. Likely makes it more of a conquer the continent thing, rather than unite the country, but that's fine.

You can use anything with me having a veto if it's in non-core source. Lot of badly written stuff for 3.5 for sure :P

But yeah, not planning on doing this right away anyhow - when 5 people including myself suddenly are magically free, we'll do the worldbuilding session, then we can think about character submissions :P
PMEmail Poster
^
kallman1206
 Posted: Jun 12 2011, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

Alright, time to start scheduling this mess. When are people free in the immediate future (see: next few weeks, if you know)?

I'd like to host dawn of worlds session 1, probably will just cover the Age of Land if my previous use of the system is anything to go by.

Only difference to standard Dawn of Worlds is that the table will be allotting meta-points to the people who do the most interesting things, likely in a Transferrable votes thing (name the top three players, say, other than yourself, person with most preference gets most points), where at the end of it all the selection of which towns to be the avatar of will proceed in order of most to least points - that is, the person whose efforts was most appreciated in building the world gets first pick, and so on.
PMEmail Poster
^
Chronocide
 Posted: Jun 12 2011, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Good I was hoping you would change the DoW rules a bit to make it fit your concept. I am free, after 5:00 any weekday sans Wednesday all day Saturday and Sunday after 1:00. Monday the 20th is out for me and in general a Friday or Saturday would be best. Also I can bring some drafting supplies.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll