Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Urban Arcana Part II: Chapter 1
Greg
 Posted: Apr 8 2011, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 722



Upon seeing the room's interior, Tobin momentarily forgets his reason for being there, and meanders around the store, admiring both the mundane and wondrous objects scattered about the place with a childlike awe.

If either Mavet or Durg speak up, Tobin will suddenly remember himself, and will extend a massive hand towards Durgunik in a friendly manner, and say: "Hi! Uh... I'm Tobin." in a gravelly booming voice.

This post has been edited by Greg: Apr 8 2011, 07:24 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Apr 8 2011, 11:44 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 760



Durg keeps a wary eye on Mavet as he tries to recollect anything he might know about Tobin's species. As he heads back to his desk and stool he informs them, "Take a look around as it pleases you, but do not touch anything without asking. Some of these items can be rather, reactive." After a brief pause he adds, "If you would like to look at anything in particular..." (Here I assume Tobin introduces himself) "Mr. Tobin, please do not hesitate to let me know. My name is Durg, I am the shop manager."

He looks contemplatively at the puddles the two have brought with them, knowing he will need to clean them up soon. "Sadly we sold our one enchanted umbrella some months ago to a strange, British nanny." He chuckles slightly at his humour.
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: Apr 10 2011, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 456



The Dwarf swats at the air, as if Argos' response was a swarm of flies in the way of his making his point. "Ahhh, you know what I mean, you're a holy man. Don't you miss life back in the Old Lands? The gods to watch over you? Respect amongst all people? I mean, you were probably a real hero back then, right?"

----

[Durg's Awareness roll = +1]

This isn't Mavet's own case, so she essentially follows Tobin's lead. Durg thinks he sees a smile appear on Mavet's face at his little joke, then disappear in an instant.

----

Jake and Alex go to the main entrance of the motel. At the front desk sits a thirty-something redhaired man with a Van Dyke, pronounced nostrils, and industrial ear piercings. He seems to welcome their presence with more fervor than is generally expected at motels, especially in the Bronx.
"Hey there, fellas," he utters in a thin, vocal fry-heavy tone, "Welcome to the Friendly Motor Inn. Can I fix you guys up with a room?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Apr 11 2011, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 722



"Oh yeah, and this is Mavet," Tobin says, gesturing towards his Tiefling coworker in an introductory manner. "We work for Pearson and Grey." Tobin scratches the back of his neck, making a sound like sandpaper rubbing against stone, in brief thought. "We're here about this thing called a, uh, Void Demon? Demon of the the Void? Something like that. I've heard there's an old book on it written in drowish that might be able to tell us something about that. It's got some funny lookin' diagrams and stuff in it." As he mentions the diagrams, he makes a couple strange gestures with his hands in an attempt to help Durg visualize the images.(TN 7)"Something like that."

This post has been edited by Greg: Apr 11 2011, 10:13 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
trick
 Posted: Apr 11 2011, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 200



"No thanks." Alex replies. "We work for Pearson & Grey and were sent here on behalf of the Shadowborn Society to help Mr Razvahn out with his application into the group. We're trying to get character references for him. Since he works here, would you be willing to provide a reference? It may be confidential if you wish."

This post has been edited by dingo: Apr 12 2011, 12:00 PM
PM
^
dingo
 Posted: Apr 12 2011, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 456



Mavet winces at Tobin's mention of the Demon, but keeps quiet. Durg recognizes the name, and he's somewhat shocked, as it's not the kind of thing that Shadowborn will normally just blurt out. At least there are no mundies around.

He also has an idea of which books might contain information on it, but Ilikk left him with very specific instructions.


This post has been edited by dingo: Apr 12 2011, 12:23 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Apr 13 2011, 01:28 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 760



Durg smiles and tips his hat to Mavet in a gentlemanly way.

"Oh my!" He says, hiding his shock as best he can. "I am familiar with the name, I believe. Information on [insert correct name here] isn't the sort of thing you would find outside of unrestricted libraries. Definitely not for sale openly at least."

He thinks for a moment, "The best bet would probably be to go to the library at the Magic University, though they are as likely to help you with this as burn any book that mentions it. But I might be able to see if my boss would let you take a look at his personal collection, he might have what you are looking for. If you don't mind waiting a moment?"

Assuming they don't Durg will head upstairs, pausing at the bottom to request that they don't touch anything, and undo the wards. Then he'll ener the room and check to see if the book Mr. Ko was looking at has those types of diagrams. He still will stay to the letter of the law and not touch anything directly, he values his hide after all. If the book is still on the table and still open he'll look at it, otherwise he's out of luck.

This post has been edited by Jimbo Cactaur: Apr 15 2011, 12:16 AM
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Apr 14 2011, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 722



Tobin looks around the store, and tries to remember not to touch anything.
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: Apr 17 2011, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 456



[Durg's Sigils & Glyphs roll: +1 and -++- = +1] The book that Mr. Ko was reading is definitely written in Drowish. Durg can recognize some random words, he doesn't know enough to say whether it would help the detectives downstairs, especially without actually flipping through the book. He does, however, know where in the filing order this book is kept, and where to find other, possibly relevant books in Ilikk's library.

[Tobin's self-control roll (unskilled): +0 and x++x = +2] Tobin looks around the store, and remembers not to touch anything. [Dungeoneering: +2 and xx+- = +2] He finds plenty of interesting things, including a bastard sword mounted on the wall behind the counter. It would otherwise be quite unremarkable, except for a lustre to the edges which does not quite match that of the flat sides of the blade, and can only be seen from certain angles. Tobin catches a glimpse of this out of the corner of his eye, and from that suspects that this sword is enchanted, or at least alchemically treated.

As he is admiring the sword, he can't help noticing one of Mavet's horns near his face. She is standing next to him, arms crossed.
"Tobin, I know you haven't been around New York that long, but didn't you hear what Grey said? You can't just go blurting out this thing's name. People get really upset whenever it's mentioned. Do you know what could have happened if a mundy were to overhear something like that?"

----

The young man scratches his head for a moment.
"Uh... oh, you mean Josh, right? Yeah, sure, uh... Well, he's pretty quiet, does good work. My boss, Peter, I think he offered him some more hours, but I think he's pretty hard-core into some kind of... extreme sport. What's that called, parkour, right? So I guess he trains a lot for that. I don't know, what you need to know?"

----

Argos' silence seems to unnerve the Dwarf, who quiets down and continues his conversation with his colleagues. Argos' bowl of soup could use a bit of white pepper.
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Apr 18 2011, 12:11 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
*
Group: Super Moderator
Posts: 760



Durg looks around the room furtively, checking to see if Ilikk's familiar is anywhere about. He knows better than to attempt to cast any spells in the wizard's office, and he knows how useless a revealing spell would be in a place where everything is likely woven with enchantments and wards. But... The book Mr. Ko was looking at, and the shelf it was on are probably safe from such spells for the time being.

He puts on the white gloves that Mr. Ko left behind and moves to the shelf with the empty slot, scanning the titles for anything applicable, and hopefully not in Drowish.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Apr 18 2011, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 722



Tobin straightens up from examining the sword, so as to keep Mavet's horns from being able to reach his face, and shrugs. "I dunno. Maybe they'd let be more likely to let me carry my Axe around in order to kill it? People are strange around here. All these rules about what weapons you can carry around, and how you gotta keep your monster hunting all secret just makes it harder to get the job done. Anyhow, looking at this place, it seems that anyone coming here would already be looking for strange magicy stuff."

PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: Apr 22 2011, 05:20 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 456



Mavet rubs her eyes, already weary from the morning's events. "Oh my God, whatever. Just keep quiet about the Demon."

Meanwhile, the volumes Durg finds could very well be all applicable. Some of these are actual field notes on monsters, but generally they contain more theoretical information on things such as Shadowborn theology and cosmology.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Apr 23 2011, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 722



"Sure thing." Tobin continues to pace slowly around the store, examining the various items on display, and occasionally glancing either up the stairs or outside in anticipation. As he does this, he begins to softly whistle a tune, but stops when he notices the glare he receives from Mavet. Even though, he's pretty sure he'll regret it, Tobin attempts to engage Mavet in small talk to pass the time. "See anything interesting in here?"
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: Apr 23 2011, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 456



Mavet doesn't respond immediately. She breathes in deeply, then exhales, and some of the tension in her shoulders is released.

"Well, most of it is pretty interesting. I'll come here once in a while, just to see what's new. That sword on the wall wasn't here last time."
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Apr 24 2011, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
*
Group: Advanced Member
Posts: 722



"Yeah." Tobin examines the sword again, checking for any familiar markings on it. He would need to ask the goblin about it when he got back downstairs. "Shiny, Isn't it?"
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll