Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "DnD4ed: Gather knights to save the king!"

Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Dungeons and Dragons: Tomb of Horrors, Get ready for pain!
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File
Group: Advanced Member

well the book in question only has caster lvl but i will see what i can do
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

Okay, I'm pretty sure what they mean by caster level is the character level of the caster/user of the equipment. It's kind of a weird way of saying it, I know.
PMEmail Poster
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File

well i just found out by looking at the stuff the items do have lvl's and the caster lvl is what lvl you have to be to make it
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

This makes things more difficult, as now I'll need to check the item price to determine it's level.
PMEmail Poster
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

they all have both don't worry
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Oh wait. You're right! The item level is in brackets right next to the price.
PMEmail Poster
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

Reminder: In 3.5 the caster level of an object does not always dictate its price and/or power level. (sometimes it does, however. I think the book is trying to be confusing on purpose.)

Example: "Boots, winged" are CL5 are 16k while "Boots of Elven kind" are CL5 as well but only 2.5k.

The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself. And as Gordon228 said it determines the level requirement for an items creation.

When creating character higher then level one it is suggested you give them gold based on table 5-1 pages 135 of the DMG and let them buy whatever they want with that. (36,000 gp for level 9 btw.)

Side note: I agree with Jimbo in that we should probably have defined roles or intended uses if our humble party is to survive. I also agree with Gordon228 in that 3.5 is more open for a player to define their own role for the character they are building (somewhat) regardless of class when the player has access to the breadth of published 3.5 material (you could make a cleric who functions as a tank or a bard/wizard who functions as a healer if you wanted; maybe they wouldn't be as strong in their roles as a paladin who has been built for those same roles, respectively, but they would still be fun!)

This post has been edited by Aggregate: Mar 29 2011, 01:31 PM
PM
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

well a lot of the good items have a requirement that most characters can't do to get it's full affect. in any case i am going with a warlock for my character with the first evocation being Eldrich Glaive found in the book Dragon magic

This post has been edited by Gordon228: Mar 29 2011, 01:56 PM
PM
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

QUOTE (Gordon228 @ Mar 29 2011, 01:53 PM)
well a lot of the good items have a requirement that most characters can't do to get it's full affect.

It has been a while since I last played 3.5, could you elaborate on what the requirements for using the good magic items are? Looking through the magic compendium I don't see any besides a few alignment issues with good/evil artifacts (Scrolls and spell trigger stuff can require magic abilities obviously.)
PM
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

a few i liked had a requirement to sacrifice a spell slot or have the complete devotion thing to a particular god like the Cudgel that never forgets this is many for the relics
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

QUOTE (Aggregate @ Mar 29 2011, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (Gordon228 @ Mar 29 2011, 01:53 PM)
well a lot of the good items have a requirement that most characters can't do to get it's full affect.

It has been a while since I last played 3.5, could you elaborate on what the requirements for using the good magic items are? Looking through the magic compendium I don't see any besides a few alignment issues with good/evil artifacts (Scrolls and spell trigger stuff can require magic abilities obviously.)

@Gordon228: Are you talking about legacy items, or some 3.5 version of Artifacts, where through appeasing the item you can make it more powerful?
Edit: This question has been confirmed.

This post has been edited by Greg: Mar 29 2011, 04:03 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

QUOTE (Gordon228 @ Mar 29 2011, 02:27 PM)
a few i liked had a requirement to sacrifice a spell slot or have the complete devotion thing to a particular god like the Cudgel that never forgets this is many for the relics

Gotcha, I was concerned I was reading the regular magic item's entries wrong. :D
PM
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

can we expect a date to when this one shot thing will be?
PM
^
kallman1206
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

Last minute count me in! :D

Item level doesn't make much sense in 3.5. 4e of course, has item levels to show the right sort of power, but 3.5 is all over the place.

I'd second a "use 36k gold" baseline.

Think I'll build something different than my usual sorceror wielding wands to have a million spells a day thing.
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 29 2011, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

I was thinking on running this April 23rd, and doing a definite every other Saturday from there until we get through it, and possibly try to fit some sessions in in-between when possible.

Having looked through the module, unless the players are very focused, and are quick to find their way though the dungeon, it will probably take closer to around 3-5 sessions to get through the entire thing. I'm not really certain though. You may end up plowing through the entire thing in a single night (unlikely, but theoretically possible.)

If people would prefer the 36k for equips, then I'll go with that instead.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll