Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "DnD4ed: Gather knights to save the king!"

Pages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Dungeons and Dragons: Tomb of Horrors, Get ready for pain!
Greg
 Posted: Mar 20 2011, 12:27 AM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

I`ve been giving thought as to some possible short adventures that I would to run over during the gap between the winter and summer semesters, and into the early summer semester. One thing that I`ve decided I really want to run is Tomb of Horrors in some form or another.

Tomb of horrors has been published in some form or another for every major edition of D&D since AD&D, it is a thinking man`s dungeon filled with lethal traps and puzzles, that will provide gruesome and/or interesting deaths for the unwary adventurer.

AD&D Tomb of Horrors is the module in it's most classic form. It consists of a single dungeon, and will most likely take up only 1-2 sessions.

The AD&D2E module known as Return to the Tomb of Horrors is a more extended adventure, that is more of a sequel than a reproduction of the original module, as it adds a lot more story, locations, and of course, deadly traps. Not entirely sure how long this one will be, but I'm assuming it will take closer to around five sessions.

The D&D 3.5 Tomb of Horrors module is a recreation of the original Tomb of Horrors, rather than a sequel, which might be a good choice, as players might be most familiar with 3.5 rules. I'm estimating 1-2 sessions, as with the original.

The D&D 4th edition Tomb of horrors is like the 2nd edition module in that it is again, a sequel rather than a recreation. It is interesting in that it builds on the story of the 2nd edition Return to the Tomb of Horrors, in a way allowing the game to form something of a trilogy. Probably 5 sessions long.

So here is my proposal:

I'll run either the AD&D or 3.5 version of Tomb of Horrors depending on which version the players prefer. Depending on the reception and level of interest, I'll consider continuing the story in the 2E and 4E modules.

This is an open call to players on the Forums, with a 6 slots available though if there is enough overflow, I'll see about running it multiple times.

PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Mar 21 2011, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

I would be very interested in playing in this, though I don't know when I'd find the time. Still I have heard enough about these types of dungeons to be very much intrigued, which is a great motivator for me. I like tot think I could triumph over some pre-made monstrosoty of a dungeon, using all my wit and guile. I don't know any of the systems well at all, though, and I believe it would be a truely group effort to survive one of these things.

I am in, anyone brave enough to join me?
PMEmail Poster
^
dingo
 Posted: Mar 21 2011, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

Honestly, I think I'm at a place where I could play D&D again. Put me down as a "maybe." I'm looking to make my move to the city a more permanent one, but there may be room for weekend sessions.
PMEmail Poster
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 23 2011, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

well it looks interesting and if there is no premade characters you will have a dwarven fighter depending how much gold he has will determine if he has a dwarven weapon or not.
PM
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Mar 23 2011, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Adventurer

... and my axe!

This post has been edited by Aggregate: Mar 23 2011, 05:32 PM
PM
^
redeadlink
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

never played dnd before. I'm kinda interested.
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 06:50 AM
Quote Post

Heroic

I'll be making a a character roster of 10-20 characters I think, which you guys may end up burning through. If you want to, I'll allow you to bring your own character, and just swap out one of the characters in my roster.

A question for you guys: Would you prefer the AD&D version or the D&D 3.5 version?
PMEmail Poster
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File

well i know 3.5 and for AD&D i think i can't be a dwarven fighter but will have to look it up and if we do go with AD&D then i will not be making one.
PM
^
Aggregate
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Adventurer

While the retro element of AD&D could be entertaining I would prefer the 3.5 edition simply because of familiarity; both my own and that of others. D&D can can be rules-heavy at times and I would rather not have to learn a new system for 1-2 sessions if it can be avoided.
PM
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File

i found the AD&D books but trying to figure out combat is like looking though a needle and a hay stack so i prefer 3.5
PM
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

I have a few AD&D books, got em at the flea market. But they are just players various class handbooks, better for doing the who long campaign thing than aiding in a quick run. I vote 3.5.
PMEmail Poster
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Rank and File

well i do have a nice 3.5 character sheet that you can enter and save data on to and it is a pdf so i could send it to people if that is desired?
PM
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

being that i can't edit my post above i have to do this way. now why have a character roster and what books can we use for character creation and how many characters can we make? now if all the conditions are met for me having more books to use and a person short i could play 2 characters as my second character would be warlock if 3.5 and a dwarf.

This post has been edited by Gordon228: Mar 25 2011, 05:54 PM
PM
^
Greg
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Heroic

The reason for the character roster is to make sure that the players will have a character to play after their first one dies. Since Tomb of Horrors was designed to be fairly lethal, there will pretty much undoubtedly be at least 1 player death, if not even a tpk. While I want to see the players reach the end of the dungeon, I don't want to pull any punches with any of the dice rolls. That is why, I'll be making up a roster of characters either for players who don't care to make their own, or players who lose their player characters to the horrors contained within the tomb. I think I'll be shortening the roster to about 10 minus the player created characters.

Anyhow, it looks like we'll be going with 3.5, as it is the most familiar and available.

As for character creation books, For starters, I'll be allowing Players Handbook, and Players Handbook II. If you want to play something from another 3.5 sourcebook, I'll probably allow it as long it's published by WotC.
PMEmail Poster
^
Gordon228
 Posted: Mar 25 2011, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Rank and File

well want me to send you the D&D 3.5 mega torrent with over 3 gigs of D&D books from WOTC but in any case i will make 2 characters for my self just so i have 2 and i have been on the bad end of dice roll by the gm and at least in 4 sessions 4 of my characters died
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll