Forum Rules Important

This forum is used to help players find a campaign to participate in. In order to facilitate this we ask the following.

1. If your campaign is full or not accepting players, please close the topic. The topic can be opened again if this changes.
  2. Place the name of the system used in the topic name for instance "DnD4ed: Gather knights to save the king!"

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Jericho, Adventures in the Calcolithic age., This is going to be EPIC!
Greg
 Posted: Nov 24 2013, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

This campaign is going to be a Sword and Sorcery style fantasy game set in and around Ancient Mesopotamia during the transitional period between the stone and bronze ages.

Jericho is the working title for my campaign, and is named after the biblical city-state. The city itself is now considered to be the oldest continuously inhabited human settlement in recorded history, the city itself has a history that goes farther back in history than the invention of written language, having been repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt on the literal bones of it’s predecessors. There were no books or scrolls in the age of Jericho, and if there were, there are precious few who can read them. Maps, if one could be found and be remotely accurate, would have the value to buy a kingdom. You know of no empires in the lands of Jericho. Yet you may have heard rumor of kings of many cities across the great western sea, and empires falling under the thundering hooves of immortal time. In this age, however, a nation’s borders are marked by the walls of their cities or the migration patterns of their tribes.

The technology that is largely covered here is the Calcolithic, or “Copper Age”, roughly around 4000 BC, but that is not to say that weapons of bronze or even iron don’t exist. It’s more that there are many cultures where beating your enemies to death with clubs and throwing rocks is still not considered wholly obsolete as a method of making war. Not every tribe or city is blessed with a smith to work the forge. But among some of the stronger cities, there are some who have learned the secrets of bronze iron and gold. Such men are the pride of their people, only the wealthiest of kings, princes and champions can afford to equip themselves in a full suit of bronze armor. It is a common sight for a warrior to, even in the heat of battle, strip the armor off a fallen foe, as a full suit of armor and the experience to use it can raise a man to heroic or even godlike status on the battlefield, and a scavenged breastplate can be traded for enough food and wine to last a man from a month to a year depending on the quality. As cliched as it seems, the better your gear you can get, the more important you become.

In this age most professions have comparatively low entry barriers. A warrior only needs a good weapon and the strength to wield it. A thief only needs to be able to take something from someone while leaving them alive. A pirate only needs a ship, and it only takes the knowledge of a single spell for a shepherd to become a sorcerer. A kingdom can be bought at the tip of a sword with the exchange of gold. The laws only go so far as the rule of a lawmaker, so a thief in one city may be regarded as a prince in another. Your destiny, should you be blessed with a long life, can be whatever you have the strength and will to achieve.

The system I am planning on using in this campaign is the Iron Heroes system (which is built on the D20 system) The setting and feel is loosely based on the Hyborean Age of the Conan stories, but is a little closer to the rise of actual ancient civilizations, taking place sometime around 4000 BC. It will be my own interpretation of the time period, mixing a little bit of real world historical and archaeological references, and will be adding some mythic and fantastic elements at my own discretion. Players are welcome to help contribute to the setting in order to add to the immersion, though as the GM, I get the last word.

My initial premise is that the player characters are all human nomadic “heroes”. Where it is that you originally come from is up to you, and I think it will be fun to collaborate on that a bit. In your more recent histories, you've been journeying around the Eastern Mediterranean, area. In that time all of you have crossed paths with one another at least once, if not travelling together for longer. By some chance or by fates, you have all arrived at the same time in Jericho, the ancient walled city of the moon. To celebrate this unusual reunion, you all enjoy an evening of carousing together, sharing tales of your past adventures together.

So far, Aggregate and one of my sisters has expressed interest in playing, leaving 2-3 slots for other people who want to join. No setting knowledge is required, as long as you think having an epic adventure in copper age times sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

This post has been edited by Greg: Nov 24 2013, 10:02 PM
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Dec 1 2013, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

As always, an interesting concept Greg. What would be the time frame, frequency, duration etc. ?
PMEmail Poster
^
Greg
 Posted: Dec 3 2013, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

Heroic
Group: Advanced Member

Going twice a month for half a year would be about 12 sessions. Time of each session should be about four hours on average, so 6:30-10:30. Location can be split up between abbotsford and mission if you'd like.
PMEmail Poster
^
Jimbo Cactaur
 Posted: Dec 5 2013, 12:53 AM
Quote Post

Hammerhand
Group: Super Moderator

Thanks for the flexibility Greg, but I think I'm going to have to bow out of this one. I think that might be better all around as you would probably want to run it more frequently/longer.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll